Sloppy but Famous Contest

Hi,
Did anyone notice that Leo Kottke is awfully sloppy musician?
How about Steve Howe?
Both of them often miss the notes or even hitting the wrong ones.
Who else do you know?
czarivey
in the early 90s I saw the classical guitarist John Williams who is the greatest guitarist (technically) I have ever seen and a few weeks later I saw Leo Kottke and it seemed like he blew ever other note!

What a contrast especially when I was expecting Kottke to be brilliant. I still enjoyed him very much but sloppy indeed.
The last time I saw Steve Howe play live was maybe 12 or 13 years ago and he was spot on. I was completely floored and hadn't seen him since 1983. Not sure about now but he might have arthritis as is so common amongst pickers.
Nancy Wilson (Heart) once said,"I was a better guitar player when I was younger. Sheesh, I just don't get it".
I saw David Lindley the other night at Mccabe's Guitar Shop. I heard him cover his ass by playing the same thing twice. Anyone who can do that in a nano second is great in my opinion. That's the way it goes in music and it's fine by me.
Cool post, thanks,
-John
Onhwy61, well, most of our beloved musicians are in their 60's or even 70's and most don't trip several times per song...
Haven't heard neither Fripp, Belew, Scofield, Mclaughlin, Holdsworth play sloppy lately for some reason.
I guess some famous musicians may count on their previous glory and play sloppy in their 60's and some not.
On guitar there's a difference between primarily plectrum style linear/chordal alternation such as McLaughlin would play versus the fingerstyle counterpoint of Kottke or John Williams. As difficult as what McLaughlin does is to do (at his level) the contrapuntal style is difficult to do at any level--and extremely difficult at the level of John Williams, Manuel Barrueco, etc.
Not to take away a thing from Mclaughlin, Tony Rice, et. al.
I can't come close to doing what any of those guys at the top do!!!