input for a Vinyl newbie

Hi all,

I am interested in venturing into the vinyl/analog arena and like to get my feet wet with a start up system. I am thinking of the Jolida JD9 II phono stage and the project rm 1.3 turntable initially and will upgrade later if I really like the new endeavor. Any feedback on this combination or other recommendations in the same price range is greatly appreciated.

The rest of my system consist of Classe Omega preamp, Mark Levingson No.333 Amp, and Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers.

Thanks.
coolsound
Dear Coolsound: I don't know how many LPs alredy own but the Zd542 advise to mate a better analog rig to your system is way valid.
In the past Classe preamps had the alternative to integrate a phono card, I don't know if this is possible with your Omega.

Anyway, you need a better analog rig for really you can have your " feet wet " with a war water instead and icy one. Try a good SS phono stage not a tube one.

In the other side, analog is not a plug&play " item ", you need patience to learn and patience to achieve a good overall set up. Analog is as imperfect as my Russian language ( I'm Mexican and I don't speak Russian. ) for say the least and due to that I can say is the least user friendly audio alternative.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Thank you all for the feedbacks. What is your opinion between the Scout and Scout 2 ($600 difference)? Will there be noticeable improvement in sound quality with the Scout 2? Should I use the extra money for a better cartridge/phono preamp instead?

I currently do not own that many LPs. Just a box of couple dozen albums and about 150 45s from the 80s that has been sitting in my closet for the last 25 years. Will start increasing my collection if I like the new setup.

Thanks.
I agree with the above - spend what you can afford to spend - but with some caveats.

For analogue, set-up is CRITICAL. A very costly analogue front end, if poorly set up, will be much inferior to a cheap but carefully set up one. I suggest that you find a good retailer who can take care of you, or join an audio club. Best is to ignore the ads and audition before you buy.

Used is fine if you have a good retailer. But don't even think about buying from the net until you know enough to set up on your own. And that means practicing on cheap stuff first, unless you can face the thought of a dead Koetsu.

When you are properly set up, you will hear something very different. A few pops and clicks from time to time, which you can live with, but no treble. NO TREBLE IS AN ILLUSION. Digital distortion masquerades as high frequency signal. What you are hearing from vinyl is an absence of distortion.

As for "software", you have alternatives: new (and costly) or old (and dirty). I suggest that you try some of your favourite pieces on audiophile releases first, to give you an idea of what is possible. Avoid digital remastering, or any digital processing anywhere in the signal chain.

Give it at least 100 hours, which will allow your cartridge to adapt to your tonearm, and your ears time to adapt to unprocessed music. Then, if you decide that the improvement in sound is worth the hassle, buy a good used record cleaner, and buy old (and dirty) records. Or, find a source of old, clean records.

You may be on the threshold of a life-long passion for vinyl upgrades. Good luck!