Retail vs. List Price

What is a fair, good, realistic, great %discount off list price for HiEnd audio? Specifically: I am looking for the Revel M 20s and need some advice before purchasing. I've seen prices from $2000(the actual retail) to $1695. What's a guy to do?
whirshfield
Good service is worth paying for, not that I enjoy paying retail but if it was either good service and support vs. once its sold they don't want to see me until I buy something again-it depends what you care about- remember its only dirty paper. Call several dealers and see how they treat you and what suggestions they have-its not like you are talking mega money here; if one dealer seems obviously better for a few hundred bucks I wouldn't hesitate. of course YMMV
~Tim
I agree with Tim. I have been very happy with one dealer I've been using, and I'm willing to pay more to go through them. They treat me well and let me borrow equipment. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be able to listen to any of my speakers before purchasing them. Sure the internet is nice, but it's nice to know exactly what you are buying when you are buying. They need to pay for the electricity to let us play with all their cool toys. I know this is a little off the subject and talked about quite a bit, but I really believe that you shouldn't "screw the dealer" by using his stuff to demo and then buying somewhere else for cheaper.
I once bought a used pair of NHT 3.3's. The paperwork I received with the speakers included the original sales receipt. It showed a "special accomodation" price of dealer cost to the original purchaser of $860 per speaker. If you take $860 x 2 = $1720. Then take $1720/.4 = $4300, which is the list price. Therefore, this means that the list price is 2.5 times the dealer cost ($1720 x 2.5 = $4300). This is the only case where I have actual numbers, but one could assume that this is typical of the high end industry where people are buying luxury goods. Just thought I would throw this out for thought or comment.
Jeff_s- Good point to bring up but with out dealers there would be no audiogon because there would be no gear around :) Of course this isn't like groceries that everyone needs how many in your home town are into hi-fi? its a niche market and you gotta pay for it; hey look at least its not crack! But obviously the 1 meter interconnect(pair) I bought for $1100 wasn't worth that much(not materials or no matter how you look at it) but I like it, and it gives me that much joy. Look at Jewelers, clothing stores, tire shops :o) they all take advantage of the consumer because they have to in order to make money(well maybe not the last one but you get the idea ;) )

~Tim
Revel is a Madrigal product line. Cost on all Madrigal gear to the dealer is 45 points, with an additional 5 points for early pay/prepay. So the dealer pays either 50% or 55% of list for the item.

If you don't get at least 25% off, walk. Any Madrigal dealer that truly wants your business will do it. Trust me. Of course, that doesn't mean the average Madrigal customer won't pay more--in fact, they usually do. Profitable line.