preamps - vtl tl5.5/rogue 99/linn kairn

i currently use a linn kairn w/brilliant p/s & fono - great transparency/detail/clarity/pace, & convenience. considering toobs, & have narrowed it down to the vtl tl-5.5 & the rogue 99. both have optional internal fono, like the linn. i'm interested in the possibility of better soundstage depth, but don't wanna give up what the linn does well. speakers are meret re's, bi-amped w/a pair of electrocompaniet amps; lo-end is x-over'd at 60hz w/a marchand 24db/octave x-over, to a pair of bridged adcom gfa 555's driving vmps larger subs. any comments/suggestions? max budget is ~$2k (new *or* used). thanks
sedond
Hi Sedond, I will have to wait until Brian gets back from CES. I'm not sure about what processer you are talking about, but with other pre's I have used I just run the sub straight to a pre out, one for the amp and one for the sub. This pre amp has two out's also, but one say's "amp" and the other say's "record". But the sub does not work in the record out.??!! I guess I'll just have to wait, I sure would hate for that to be a deal breaker though, I'm to used to the sub at this point. Thanks for the input! Cya, Bob
Sedond, the VAC Standard Preamplifier "Limited Edition" sounds better than the rogue99 or the vtl 5.5. I've not heard the Melos or the Cary though.
I have been inside my 99 several times and the only switches I have seen are in my phono stage.I have looked it over inside closely.Sorry I cant help.Try calling Mario owner of Toys From The Attic.He may be able to help you.He is a Rogue dealer. 914-421-0069
Sedond, I think you should first decide what type of sound and music you like. What you want to get out of this preamp. I truly believe just throwing out a name of a nice preamp to you is not the road to the ultimate system for YOU. I think synergy(which your tastes are a major, and overlooked factor) is the most important aspect of a system. Ultimately deciding success or failure. Do you want to go to a more tube sound? Add some warmth to the wonderfully clear, crystalline, open sound of the Electrocompaniets? Or not? Also, what is your source? And do you plan to upgrade that later, or are you happy with it? I know about the neutrality and soundstage issues, but there is more. Do you play mostly rock, jazz, classical. There are a lot of great products out there. The trick is to merge one to your tastes and equipment. The one recommendation I do have is to BUY USED. A new $2000 preamp would be one of the weaker links in your impressive system. Buying used will allow you to get a preamp that was originally $3500 to > $6000. So when you upgrade later, it will surely be a component other than this preamp. I always buy a component(presuming it fits in to what I am building towards) that is above the others in my system. That way, it should be the last to be replaced. Last in, last out.
David- Give me a break. In your post you had stated that the 99 kills the the AIM3A period. Are you that insecure that you feel the need to make such an extreme statement. From what I have read the 99 is an excellent preamp, I would love to hear one. The 3A is also an excellent preamp (yes I own one) like any thing else I'm sure that depending on everything else you have in your system either one could excel over the other. This constant grand standing is really very High School. I'm glad your happy with your 99, other peoples mileage may differ. Best-Gary