Would vinyl even be invented today?

Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today? It's like the typewriter keyboard--the version we have may not be the best, but it stays due to the path dependence effect. If vinyl evolved from some crude wax cylinder to a piece of rock careening off walls of vinyl, hasn't it reached the limits of the approach? Not trying to be critical--just trying to get my head around it.
128x128jafreeman
12-28-14: Schubert

IMO waiting in line to waste 500 bucks when others have nothing to eat says all there is to say.
Someone waiting in line to spend $500, someone is in line at the shelter or church to get free meal, another one doesn't know at all where to get neither $ or food and stays hungry. It's not news at all, but what is relevance?
To alert people to the fact there might be judgements doesn't mean you think you are the judge.
I like my digital rig...it sounds friggin' great maybe due to the re-clocking or the DAC's power supply or amp tubes or something, but I'll say it again: LPs won't play on anything but a turntable (making digital copies of them will not be done by me...life is too short, and that seems like a lame idea anyway) so when I want to play my LPs I've owned forever on my table the sound (and the music) blows me away every damn time...pops, clicks, bite me, and just shut the hell up. 1969 "The Band"...1968 "Jeff Beck Group"...Jethro Tull "Stand Up"...Steely Dan "Gaucho"...some greasy Yo Yo Ma solo Bach...uh huh...oh yeah...yo MAMA!
I think the wrong question has been asked here. The right question would have been "would cd's even be invented today?" The answer to that is obvious. Oh and what's a "hipster" anyway? I know what a hippy is. I am pretty sure vinyl is not about being "cool". I am NOT cool. I am also certain it is the mid 50yr olds and up that keeps vinyl going. I am also certain that they(me) are not the group kids(hipsters) emulate. Many mid 50 plus do not even own an iPhones. As far as wether great new and classic rock exists or not get your head(ears) out of the sand. Vinyl is not about being unable to enjoy new technology. Just the celebration of a great older one. No reason they can not coexist. Vinyl is an experience. Digital is background music. Don't get me wrong I have a first class(in my view) digital front end. I love it. But when I have the choice and I am listening to music I choose vinyl. 2015 the year of vinyl! Or something like it....
We all have our guilty pleasures...safe new year to all!...and remember a taxi beats a dwi everytime...cheers!