When buying through Agon a buyer should always-

contact the seller using the "Contact Seller" through the Agon system.

A member here on Agon had his Agon account hacked by an identity thief.

The thief posted a fraudulent ad using the Agon member's username and account information.

The thief also used his own email address in the ad to contact him with any questions. That was convenient of him....

The buyer is out $8,000 + dollars.

Always use the "Contact Seller" through the Agon system.

If you do not use Paypal to buy, make damn sure the seller is the real deal! You could be out $8,000 + bucks.

For those interested check out AA General forum.
jea48
Agon won't let you send phone numbers in their system. I have told them the importance of being able to talk, but they ignore me. Nuts, it is nuts! Fix this Agon....please, pretty please.
Also I thought A'gon had provision against this. If you log on from multiple locations your ID gets locked. This has happened when I've gone on vacation. I normally log in from work but when I was away and logged into A'gon I got a message stating my account was locked and I had to go to my e-mail to unlock the ID.
04-12-13: Jedinite24

Then what? Surely a window or Link is not provided where you login to Agon?
IF so how do you know 100% the email is from Agon?

That is at least one way hackers are getting members passwords. Once they have your password they can then access your account and post a bogus ad using your username.

I get on average at least one email a month from some hacker/s telling me my Agon account/membership is going to be cancelled. Not always for the same reason. They provide a window or Link to click on that does indeed take me to the Agon login web page. Problem is if you enter your password the hacker also gets it.

Never enter your Agon password through an email login Link.
Especially Audiogon...... Is it real or is it Memorex?

The problem is if you put in your phone number or other contact information in a private message A'gon will censor the message and not let it go through to the other member. I've seen then when I've sent a message trying to get information about an item from a seller.

Also did anyone see A'gon hub got hacked. I saw a posting on the hub saying HACKED by alireza. I guess someone is making a point about A'gon security or lack thereof.
Never respond to one of the emails like Jea48 describes above. If you receive a suspect email, always contact Audiogon through the home page. Ask if the email is legitimate. Audiogon will let you know if it is real or not. I have received many of these types of emails and all have been someone phishing.