Meridian 508.24...sound compared to newer players

I've owned the 508.24 for about ten years now...having upgraded from a 508.20 to .24. I know for many years this CD player was highly regarded and my long term relationship with it is a testimony to how well I think it sounds. However, I know many advancements have been made over time but I have not really kept up with or listened to many newer high end players. While not on it's last legs, I realize that a 10 year old CD player will not be lasting forever (I already replaced the laser). So I may be looking soon at a replacement. To those of you who have owned the 508.24 or are aquainted with it's sound, I would like to know your impressions of it compared to the newer high end players in the $2000-$3500 price range. One player I am specifically interested in is the Bryston BCD-1. Anyone compared these two? Any recommendations or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks
randyhat
I do not own one, but I have a friend who does. In my opinion it is a wonderful sounding player, and as good as many "new" players in the price range that you mentioned. I would hang on to it if I were you.
I had a 588 - a big upgrade to the 508.25 - was just never happy with it. Long warm up, 2 hours, and just not involving-flat soundstage (depth), okay soundstage (left to right) and detail and resolution was okay until you hear something better-than you realize what was missing. Problem is, what I liked cost $7,000, so I really can't say what's better in your price range. I think good (okay, really good) digital is a little pricier. Not fair to compare a $3k player to a 7k player but I have listened to many cd players and regrettably, nothing realy fancied me til I go to the $7k price point. The Byston has had awesome reviewes--I would definately take a listen if that's your budget. Not to go off post, but I guess I am--my squeezebox with a benchmakk dac (CI Power supply) is simply blowing my bind--for $1,800 or so, it sounds better than anything I have heard under $7k. The benchmark w/o usb is $975-can you audition one with the Meridian? You can get a decent digital cable and go for it. Bet you a nickel it will beat the pants off of your stand alone Meridian.
I have listened to the 508 24 at home and now own a Muse model 9 genIII which is very similar performance (that is to say extremely enjoyable to listen to) and I have wondered the same thing. Bottom line, I am darn happy with the Muse and bet you are with the Meridian - let's spend our pennies on music! BTW sorry but my Muse is 8 yrs old so no help here!
I've owned the Meridian 508.24 and thought it was a very good player. I've also owned many other CD players in the $1500-$3500 retail price and none were significantly better. I would recommend keeping the 508.24 until it dies unless you want to spend a lot more money or convert to a digital music server setup. If your Meridian dies or you just decide you must buy a different player, the Resolution Audio Opus 21 is a very good player for under $2500 used.

Enjoy,

TIC
BTW FWIW I did compare my Muse to a Electrocompaniet ECM 1UP (or whatever their newest and best was a few years back) and they were similar in performance with the Electro being a little smoother and that was the biggest difference, at around $4000 I think.