LOUDEST Concert and Tinnitus

This is a two part question.

1. What is the loudest concert (or event) that you have attended?

2. How long have you had tinnitus, is it getting better or worse and how are you dealing with it?

Personally, the loudest concert was UB40 at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver. Loudest event was drag racing at SIR (Seattle International Raceway) which was like sticking your head in a jet engine.

Regarding tinnitus. Over the past year or so I have noticed a constant high pitched "sound" in my ears. Mostly the left ear. At this point I don't actually know if it is constant or whether I just forget about it sometimes. I know use a white noise box when I go to sleep. Otherwise I tend to fixate on the ringing.

128x128tony1954

Fwiw- I’ve had tinnitus for decades as primarily a result of being around firearms. I’ve experimented with a variety of all in one tinnitus supplements which did nothing to alleviate it. However, I have had good success with using high quality, excipient free compounds taken in combination. Ginko / B12 / Magnesium significantly reduces the severity of my tinnitus to the point that it’s not a distraction during my listening sessions. Ymmv of course and it’s not an overnight solution. You have to keep track of your dosage and tweak it over time. I’m into the whole Bio-hacking thing so I enjoy doing this stuff.

Van Halen and Rush were the loudest I heard, both playing Madison Square Garden for the first time early 80s. The Who at Shea Stadium were loud but it's outside and they had other crowd problems far worse.

Had tickets in the first five rows to the stage for both Van Halen and Rush. A guy behind me at the Van Halen show were chatting randomly before the show. Into the second song, I turned to him and he was tapping his ears how loud it was. He was clearly overwhelmed by the volume.

My friends who were in high school played music and worked on 48th St. Music Row in NYC. They all brought Sonic II earplugs which cut high frequencies. I had a pair of course as I learned from these guys to be careful at the young age of 17.

Recall pulling the plugs out during the show to check how it was and being overwhelmed the loudness. It had to be well into triple digit decibels, over 110 db. 

After that July Van Hallen concert, everyone marveled what a great concert it was. Everyone was blown away from the opening number "Fire." But at least among our small group, no one suffered any negative hearing impact. Everyone kept those Sonic II earplugs in and today, even though on occasion I like to play music on the louder side, no hearing loss other than the typical high frequency reduction due to age. I can't even notice that either and think my hearing is good to go. 

Sorry to hear of the trouble so many have had. I hope there is some new treatment to aid tinnitus. 

@sejodiren 

There is a club in Vancouver called the Commodore Ballroom thats been around close to 100 years. Small capacity and a dance floor that is spring-loaded.

Saw Rory there, along with Tom Petty's first tour, Roy Buchanan, Buddy Rich, David Byrne, Moby and countless others.

@sejodiren - I saw U2 on that first tour as well, at the Old Waldorf in San Francisco; they played 2 shows in one night; I got to stick around for both. 

@larsman I was good friends with the WEA rep for Portland.  So 1980 when 'Boy' was released on Island.  Great show and got to meet and have a few beers with them.  Not near as loud as Rory though!