Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

When using the Term 'Audiophile', I relate to it as a individual who expresses a deep rooted interest in hearing music.

I would even accept that a Audiophile has a deep rooted interest in equipment to replay recorded music, either from a Analogue Source, such as Tape or Vinyl or a Digital Source, such as CD, File or Streamed Data.

I do not accept that a 'Audiophile' interested in Vinyl Replay is only defined as a 'phile' if the obsession of concerning themselves about microns, seconds, or Radians in relation to the equipment being used is their fundamental concern.

This as a stance is elitist and is suggesting only certain individuals can join the club, if they have the means to buy into the criteria.

I will sticker with my membership of the Club that has a broader criteria recognised, that identifies one as a member.

As said I have equipment bespoke produced for replaying the Vinyl LP, which has as part of the intended design, created the tightest of tolerances and remains friction free as part of the function. Even with this equipment at hand, and certainly the tolerances created are not found in all equipment, I will not consider myself above another. I will consider myself fortunate to be able to experience such a feat of micro-engineering, used in conjunction with a Cartridge.

As said the Cart' is the weak link, it is not produced to match the exactness of the modifications in place for the Tonearms and Platter Bearings Engineering.

I'll happily stick around here see where the snobbery being presented by a few contributors ends up.

The real riot is that people will say up is brighter down is duller

@mijostyn, @clearthinker 

That statement unfortunately is typically correct as the majority of tonearms are not dynamically stable in their vertical plane - a common artifact of tracking force.

@boothroyd 

True.  Many arms are not dynamically stable.  But surely a majority of arms are gimbal mounted in vertical and horizontal planes and so will not permit significant movement in those planes.

@pindac 

I am unconcerned whether or not people wish to refer to me as an audiophile.

And the cart is only a weak link if it is assembled carelessly.  Which often occurs.

Post removed 

Woo hoo! Here we go again!

All I can say is that people are entitled to like what they want but then they are not true audiophiles.

@mijostyn Well, you have said many times we must ignore what our ears hear, so that bit is consistent. Except for when you later told me all sorts of distortion was "audible"! I must ask you to review the etymology and meaning of "audiophile" and then get back to me with an explanation that makes clear that if I like what I hear I am not a true audiophile, but if I like what you like, I qualify. Currently, it seems that if I don't like what I hear, I am an audiophile. Is that not the upshot of what you have said, or did you misspeak?

For everyone, not just the opinionated, is not what we like the most to listen what we should strive for more of? Both in terms of music and, perhaps in equipment for doing so? Does it matter if it isn't realistic etc? I happen to be rather familiar with a certain opera company's rather nice and relatively new hall. I spent a good deal of cash flying to see three or four operas a year there. I know what that sounds like. Can someone else tell me I must not set up a cartridge in a way that sounds right to my ears on those grounds?

Frankly, I don't give a hoot whether some self-appointed expert here considers me an audiophile. I know how much music I own, like and enjoy. I will continue to do so regardless. But the non-audiophile philosopher in me would like answers.