Looking for a tube phono pre

Looking for a tube phono pre in the 2500 to 3k price range. Currently running a Sutherland Insight LPS. Using a PrimaLuna EVO 400 integrated and VPI Prime scout with Hana ML. I have a Chinook on order at Upscale but they are dragging their feet and I have read some reliability issue post with the Chinooks, so I can cancel the order. Anyone compare the Rogue to a Chinook? Thanks

128x128jmphotography

I love the aesthetix Io but settled for the Herron, call him up and have him configure for audiophile (he has two tube configurations).  For the price you can’t go wrong.  I went down the rabbit hole in 2016 and have probably dropped $45k into my system including 1500 LPs, so be prepared to stay within your limits!

Late to the party but I would recommend a used Zesto 1.2.  I used one for a few years and then went up to the Zesto Deluxe II which has balanced I/O and better SUTs but is a lot more expensive.  The 1.2 is dead quiet, dynamic, not tubey and just flat out a great sounding bargain.  Reliable and cheap to run.

There's a nearly new Musical Fidelity NuVista Vinyl going on USAaudiomart at the moment for 2290. I absolutely love mine!

Not too many years ago I bought into the Mr Nixie DIGNA Phonostage, as the earliest Model Released, I had read too much positives about it, not to arrange a Home Trial.

As a Design for a Phon' it has over the past few years evolved and is available in new guises, that are much better for the end user.

The Model I bought was a early design and not as adaptable as the most recent, I needed a EE to carry out a modification, where the Mod' enabled the E88CC / 6922 Tube to be used.

Tube Rolling took the earliest Model of this Phon' to a elevated level of performance, certain Vintage Tubes were just stunning in use with this Phon'.

I took this Phon' to Bake Off's and discovered it was very comfortable in the Upper Value Phon' demonstrations, I have heard it hold its own in a lineup of Phon's where the Values were ranging from £3K - £5K+.

At one Bake Off there was a small group of the overall attendees who could not give it enough appraisal for the Performance and Value.    

My Local HiFi Group were so impressed, they had it for their use as a long term loan, to be used as the reference Phon' for Vinyl Source Demo' experiences for quite a few months, the DIGNA kept winning favour and for the Performance / Value Ratio, it was being reported by the Group to be quite capable, and is fending  off the Phon's made available, both Valve and SS across this period.

For myself to have it Superseded and used a 'second in line' Phonostage.

I had a Commissioned Bespoke Valve Design produced. Which as a result of the R&D, ended up with a host of boutique matched components to get the Phon' to the Standard that I was wanting for my own use.

The DIGNA was a comparative Phon' used during the Phon' Prototype Design and Build. There were DIGNA Sonic Traits, I did not want to be without. 

The Designer /Builder of my Phon' was producing my Phon' as one of two Prototypes, a Company was interested in having the Phon' Design on their Product Range. My Phon' as stated was finished with matched Boutique Components, along with a improvement change to the Power Supply, due to the design being honed to suit my unique preferences. 

The other Prototype was produced using very recognised quality components that were all matched (Matched to myself means discards of components and added costs to get the correct matching). The Power Supply was as per the original design.

The Company prior to COVID were very impressed with the Prototype were willing to produce a Casing to their wanted design and take it to the Munich HiFi Show as Item with a asking price of £10K as a base model with further upgrade options if the Customer wished for them to be made available.

Both the Phon' Designer /Builder and myself were without doubt my Prototype was the better Phon', but only to be achieved at a increased Build Cost.

The Local HiFi Group have had my Bespoke Built Phon' and the DIGNA side by side in Comparison on the Groups 'go to' System.

The General Consensus is the DIGNA is a substantial competitor and is not a bettered Phonostage across the entirety of the presentation, it shines out as an attraction in many areas of a replay.  I am in Total Agreement.  

COVID changed a lot of things and the Company interested in the Phon's did not maintain their interest. 

At some point the Company reignited their interest, but wanted a Design a little further from a Typical Design, which I believe I am correct in saying was a Transformer Coupled Design.

An individual in the Local HiFi Group was made known the Prototype built along side my one was up for sale to raise funds for the New Design, and they secured the purchase, at a much better price than having one commission built, and still have the Power Supply and Component Upgrade Options if they ever feel the need.

Again the New to the Group Prototype Phon' has been compared to the DIGNA and even though with a different sonic, the Group assessment is that it is a Parity Phon', in relation to impressive performance, but the DIGNA has a leaner side to the sonic. 

I totally agree with the overall assessments.

Until packing away the Analogue Set Up for Storage, I was to use the DIGNA regularly. I like it that much.

When used with a DIY Built Head Amp of a easy to access Design, I get loaned a version of this Head Amp model, the DIGNA is Jaw Droppingly Good.

I've had the Helicopter on 'The Wall Album' pass through the Roof and Land in Front Of Myself.

The special effect embedded into the 'Amused to Death Album' have been so life like real. Soundstages have no boundaries, Supercars roaring throughout the length of the home,  A Animal Pulled Sleigh, detected way outside of the Room and then in front of the listener to leave the room and seemingly travel another substantial distance, and last but not least, the Growl in the ear from close proximity, I have caught many with that one, watching for the listener in the Hotseat to look for the animal.

The DIGNA with the Head Amp is able to catch me with the Growl.

I have taken the 'Amused to Death' Album to nearly all Phon' demo's experienced and when able to be used, not one Phon' is doing what the DIGNA does with the Head Amp.

If the Forums are visited where there is support for the DIGNA, it does not take a lot to discover there are those who have compared it to upmarket Phon' Brands and it is well documented that some are of the opinion it is a match for a Aesthetix Rhea. 

With the Monies being suggested as the Budget for a New Phon', the DIGNA is placed very comfortably into it. 

I can highly recommend the Hagerman trumpet. I run a VPI Scout and a Hana SL into it. They all play nice.

db