For Vandersteen owners & lovers: Which other brands do you like?

If you didn’t own Vandersteens, what would you own instead and why? Or, if you switched to another brand what did you choose?

First, let me say that I am a Vandersteen owner for 20+ years, now on my 2nd pair of the 2CE, the Signature III. I have owned other brands, and heard many others and even liked some. 😀 I don’t change gear frequently once I settle on something. Lazy & frugal = me.

I am on the verge of being on the verge of getting the Vandy Treo CT. I have auditioned them at length. I have also heard the Quatro CT and if budget allowed (including upgrading my front end) I would get them for sure. I’m not a fanboy—there is a reason why Vandersteen has sold something like 100K pairs of the 2CE. They sound very good and all of their models are a real bargain/value in their category, imo.

I have heard and liked, for different reasons, Maggies, Magicos, Harbeths, Focals, Linkwitz-Riley, and other brands. Others that I have not heard intrigue me too. I keep circling back to Vandys—maybe it’s what I have known the longest. I have flirted with the Larsen 8 or 9, which is a totally different design (AbSound has reviewed them well), and also the MBL 120 and 126 (omnidirectionals).

I know I could be happy for life with Vandersteens (Treo, Quatro, or dreaming—the Kento or 7). I am interested in detailed opinions of alternatives in the $10K range though. Thanks!

128x128patrickdowns

Jim and Richard were friends ( RIP Jim - another on the list of greats lost early ). They certainly shared many design objectives; First order filters, minimum front baffle, time and phase correct. They differed on a few points but much more in common back then. … Until recently i maintained a set of CS 2.3 + in an ancillary system w Quad ESL 63, Apogee Stage, Magnepan LRS, Heavily modified Cornwall…well the list is long…. and what did i say about casting a wandering ear ? Probably the biggest Theil design departure is the philosophy of flat at listening position…. which presents as bright to some people in some systems in some rooms.  Both Jim and Richard are measure AND listen guys…. these are just facts…

Vandersteen do make a coaxial speaker w cabinet in cabinet the VLR - Signature which incorporates the carbon tweeter. They are designed for near wall, stand mount and pair extremely well w Vandy subs 3 or used 2’s. A set of stands from sound anchor and away you go.  Can’t say who but a guy w many platinum records use VLR on his mixing board…. It’s ALL fun…

Enjoy the music

Jim

tomic601 / jim

the VLR - Signature which incorporates the carbon tweeter. They are designed for near wall, stand mount and pair extremely well w Vandy subs 3

I have read about these, and they deserve a listen. I don’t have a place for a 2nd (or 3rd!) system. In my dreams, I’d have the main system, and the 2nd one would employ a variety of speakers and amps to mix and match for fun. Wait—I tell myself that I’m not a gearhead so what am I saying! 😎

soix

I hope you have access to resources to help you (in addition to your stereo) so if things progress and make it even harder on you that you have help. I pray it doesn’t come to that for you, but I know how hard it can be and God Bless for whatever you’re going through because I know how hard, and how heartbreaking, it can be to watch someone you love slowly slip away and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. It’s a cruel and evil disease, and I only hope you the best.

Your whole comment was so compassionate. I can tell you are a good egg. Peace.

@patrickdowns ,

I am the guy who bought the Treo CT's in PA. They are replacing my non-CT Treo's. To be honest, even the non-CT version plays pretty darn close to the CT.

I also own the VLR's for my office system. I really can't understand why these little guys don't get more respect. Yes, I doubted their abilities, at first, but despite their small size, they bested a pair of Zu Omen Bookshelves by more than a mile.

Adding a sub will enhance either speaker. The new Vandy Sub 3 offers built in equalization which makes it one of the best subs out there.

As others have mentioned, even the 2wq subs are good replacements-especially if finances are an issue. They are built like tanks- even 30 year old 2w's are still working as they should. 

And, do not feel you will not be welcome at the Vandy Forum. In fact, many of those responding here are members.

HTH

Bob

gdnrbob

Hey Bob! Congrats on the Treo CTs! I emailed the guy about them and he said he thought he had a buyer.

A few years ago I missed out on a mint, 1 year old pair on consignment at Johnny R’s Audio Connection. They were boxed and ready to ship, on a pallet. I hesitated and lost. Like-new pairs of them at a good price like you paid come up for sale very rarely, it seems. I look all the time.

I’m happy for you!

Pat