Newbie seller

I've sold some audio equipment for the first time and am a little perplexed at what is happening.  Would appreciate comments so I can avoid problems again.

First time out was intentionally low risk: Schiit Modi 3 and Vali 2 for $175 on US Audio.  PayPal, buyer pays shipping.  Insurance was through US Audio's recommended 3rd party insurer.  Original packaging, plenty of pictures. 

I was immediately contacted by a guy in Portland.  He has about 25 purchases on record at USAudio, mostly of Schiit products.  Good seller comments.  I issued the invoice and he paid via PayPal.  However, because I am a first time seller PayPal put a hold on the funds pending proof of delivery.

Next day 6/23 I shipped via USPS parcel select, adult signature required.  Tracking shows item got to Portland 6/29, moved around Portland USPS facilities until 7/2, then nothing.  Never even went out for delivery. 

To my surprise on 7/15 PayPal released the funds to my account.  I filed a missing package form with USPS but they haven't found the package.  Can't submit an insurance claim until 7/23 (30 days).  Not a peep from the buyer! 

I'm perplexed at that.  I plan on filing an insurance claim on Saturday, even though I have the money.  As I understand it the buyer has plenty of time to file a claim with PayPal saying he never got delivery, and rightly so.  Would you guys have done things differently?  There's not much at stake here, but if I sell (or buy) anything of substantial value I want to do it right and minimize my risk.  Comments are appreciated.

Ag insider logo xs@2xtreepmeyer

Update:  I've emailed the buyer twice with no response.  I guess its safe to assume that it was delivered.  It didn't occur to me that the USPS tracking would be so screwed up.  Well, thanks to everyone for the comments.

As somebody who retired from the Post Office TRACKING means nothing especially during the summer when the regular carriers are on vacation and there are SUBSTITUTE carriers who are not familiar with the route they are delivering. There are NO REPERCUSSIONS at the post office for Carriers who dont do their jobs correctly (Scanning).  You cant get fired from the Post Office unless you murder somebody...and even then it has to be on Post Office property. Thats how strong the Union is.

Post removed 

It is my understanding that PayPal will only release money to your account if the buyer OKs it or if you submit tracking proof that the item was delivered.