Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

@jafant  How does your Ayre integrated get along with your 2.4SE ?

Do you have enough juice to drive them and does it get really hot ?

Back to brass. I have been using brass fasteners in all my audio projects for years including the mods on my Dunlavy SC4s circa 1994. First up and easiest to mod and also to hear was the extraction of the crossover from the bottom rear. It slid out when I removed all the steel screws and replaced those fasteners with brass. There were also a few internal steel screws holding some components in place, those also were removed and replaced with brass. Nice improvement in tone and texture less brittle and more rounded and relaxed. Eventually I replaced all the screws with brass in and around the tweeter even those that attach the dome to the magnet assembly, those are critical as those are the closest to the moving coil..The woofers took the most time because I used brass inserts where the factory screws once were and used machine screws as the replacement instead of brass wood screws. Overall, those 30 dollars for new fasteners was well spent. More harmonious sound for sure. I try not to mix and match materials such as brass with plastic nylon or Teflon. One material one predictable outcome and all in alignment.

I relaced all the steel chassis standoffs and circuit board hold down screws with brass. If you take a look inside those fasteners are near components and board traces. The signal is bent or deflected by those steel fasteners. Again, a simple implementation with a nice improvement. Most transformers are held in place with steel screws either on their perimeter or a steel bolt thru the center core. Bad idea from the factory. I also placed APCD2s and .2-inch Audiopoints  between the transformers and chassis to direct resonance away and out of the chassis. Of course, this guide path is an art I use thru out my system, room and speakers.

I discussed with Tom Thiel previous my new experience with my outboard crossovers and the variation in response when the inductors geometric position is changed as well as their distance apart. This is just the start of adjusting and recording the speaker's response when the inductors are moved about. Some of my tests were a surprise and were not obvious or predicted by what is written of how magnetic fields speak to each other. This experience clarifies that the extraction of steel from a circuit board or near the moving coil of a speaker reduces audible distortion and makes for a more engaging listening experience. TomD

What is Faraday's law? (article) | Khan Academy 

What is magnetic flux? (article) | Khan Academy

thieliste

yes, AYRE and Thiel Audio are Sonic matches. My integrated does not run Hot in Twenty Series form and possesses plenty of Power as well.  I am certain that there are more powerful amps out there in comparison.

The presentation and sound is superb.

Happy Listening!

jafant

Thanks for asking about my summer , so far so good , the cooler and wetter spring has helped hold off the hot and dry summer forest fire season here in Oregon .

Tom has been working with internal wiring for a long time so I'm hoping he finds the Cardas chassis wiring as musical as both beetlemania and myself .  For me the synergy of the Cardas wiring both internal and external are a perfect match with Thiel speakers .

theaudiotweak  

after reading an earlier post by you I started replacing as many screws as I could ,  on the speakers , on the crossover boards , on the turntables tonearm base and even on the fuse panels outer cover ( only 6 screws so why not ) .  I tested screws on the amp , CD player , phono preamp and outlets , while they are not ferrous metal I will end up replacing them as time goes on , like you say a few dollars so why not .