Why Do You Post?

I come here to poke fun ONLY... No need for tech talk. AG could care less. I'm trying to draw the TROLLS out.. I'm bored.

This is what someone posted in an active thread.  I'm dumbfounded!

I come to Audiogon to learn and share information, keep abreast of audiophile happenings and to gain exposure or insight into music.  I thought I was in the majority camp of users, but based upon the above quote, could be I'm not.

128x128onhwy61

I try to help people understand how to get a realistic, actual musically correct signal to come out of their gear.

how it evaluate gear in isolation.

how a single cause analysis test should work,

how to assemble that into a system,

how evaluate the parts of a system,

How the human ear works so they learn how to listen

How the mind works on connection to hearing so they can learn to listen past and through their internal filters and faults.

None of this is simple, until it becomes instinct and such. that 10,000 hr thing.

~~~~~~~~

In such scenarios, the key point is the fixing of the self, the growth of the self -above and beyond all else. which people in general are loathe to do, they’d rather shoot and destroy everything around them, instead of that. Growth is painful (literally painful, seriously) as it requires the death of the old to occur first so the new can fit in.

So it’s a fight, an unwanted one, but one I enter into willfully and knowingly, about how it can engender dislike, in some, of my posting.

Most times it’s not fun, but i don’t know what else to do. nothing else works, IMO and IME. The data needs to be out there, for when people do break down and look for it, and are ready for it.

There is no fix, for any of this in being a necessity and ’a way’ (this is the way), as we all learn differently and we all have different minds, we all hear differently and we all take a different path up the mountain. Ie, that people spouting a singular story ("this is what I do, etc") is just us playing the ego echo chamber game of self reflection and hoping we get no hatred when we speak and expose our frailty to the world.

So there is no such thing and never will be of one single method of learning new things. There are as many ways of learning as there are people in the world and the best we can get to is forms of/in generalism, with manifold examples, in manifold directions. Thus, due to all of the above..I change how it say it, often, almost in a form of rotation, just talking around the subject in various different methods and ways.

to take it to a next level of complexity, the problem is that it is forums, so it is further removed from full and proper communication so misinterpretation and reflection of one’s own ego and emotions somehow being read in my message, is the norm. (not what I said, or what I meant, but how the reader feels) That’s how forums work.

To add, music is not about logic, or bettering the self through trial and error, it is about blanking out and pleasuring the self. Engaging the monkeys timelss joy in moving to the beat or getting lost in the ethereal aspects of loss of time and pressures. Which is the opposite of self control and considerations.

So we can get people’s blind and rejecting ugly side as a norm, on audio forums, if we inject the tension of discussion and argument in what is essentially a very complex multi-faceted scenario of high quality audio reproduction in one’s own home.

Getting high and getting off is a complex affair. In this case, chock full of individualism and a lack of understanding, yet we all seek peaks, peaks that require all of that.

If you think this place is bad, you haven't been on any of the audiophile FB groups.  Too many armchair experts over there.  The only one I miss is "chackster", he gave me a wealth of turntable knowledge

@teo_audio - I got turned onto Dobie Gray in around '73, and "got" the soulful vibe. I tracked down a couple of his records a while ago. Musical taste is separate from a well tuned hi-fi, though the system should, ideally, be genre/style agnostic. I dig a lot of the '70s soul/fusion/jazz, which was not a high point for vinyl pressings, but pretty wide ranging in terms of musical taste. I can play heavy, proto-three chord, classical or pretty much any genre,  but  prefer certain small combo jazz from the '70s. Although my taste in music should not be a deciding factor in assembling a system, it may prove to be, especially for those on a budget. 

I like reading what people have for components and speakers. I also like to read about some of the silly things people believe about tweaks and whatever else companies sell to the gullible. It some respects, it's like a religion. There's no proof but you gotta have faith.