Every day I see another turntable recommendation...

After digging into this topic, I am convinced now I need to go a bit higher on this first vinyl set up. I think all in, I am prepared at this point to go up to $5k, for the table alone, not including arm or cartridge.

But frankly, being on this forum is like drinking from an information firehose. I have learned a bunch and yet somehow, I am less convicted than before.

With that in mind, to narrow down the decision, I am want to restrict myself to things I can buy, hear and, if necessary, service locally. My local dealers stock, AMG, AVM, Basis, Clearaudio, Michell, Musichall, Pro-ject, Rega, VPI, so I am likely restricted to those brands. I am certain my view will change by the end of this thread.

saulh

Just thinking out loud, the turntable & tone arm & cartridge were less than 1/3rd of my original investment; the $200 used 1019 turntable from local craigslist (United Audio base; Shure m55e cartridge) was just the start of the adventure.  There were many extras to get: (a) Two additional $30 headshells from ebay (my son broke the original headshell not understanding the tone-arm lockdown), (b) $30 Vintage Discwasher, (c) Washing fluid (d) $22 The unusual Dual "waiter's arm" record changer spindle, (e) $10 Dual-branded 1019 45rpm adapter (f) $20 Original Dual owner's manual, (g) $40 radio-shack smoke colored dust cover (there was no oem cover available for the UA plinth), (h) $15 Dual aluminum reproduction logo to dress up the dust cover (h) $10 extra smoke plexiglass from ebay to fine-tune the fit of the dust cover, (i) $65 TEC TC-778 phonepreamp incl. support for 78pm (the turntable does 16, 33, 45, and 78 rpm), (j) $200 for 2 more shure V15-era cartridges both at bargain prices, (k) $60 two more 3x7 elliptical M55e replacement styluses out of paranoia that mine would break or wear out and the m55e would have no stylus.  So about $535 of extras, total.  There is a great comfort in buying a best-seller from the past because parts and accessories (some of them being newly manufactured by home enthusiasts) are readily available.

@saulh 

It’s unclear why you want a turntable “only” for your first foray into vinyl.  This eliminates table+tonearm package deals which would save you $.
Do you have a favorite tonearm or am planning to try multiple arms? 
Are you trying to create a flexible upgrade path?

Usually, vinyl newbies are better economically served with a combo turntable+tonearm package.  At ~$5k I would suggest a high value MoFi Ultradeck coupled with their MasterTracker combo and a PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp both of which received great reviews.

@saulh the OP has made the following statement, which pretty much means he is keen to be able to receive a demonstration of from a local support network.

"to narrow down the decision, I am want to restrict myself to things I can buy, hear and, if necessary, service locally. My local dealers stock, AMG, AVM, Basis, Clearaudio, Michell, Musichall, Pro-ject, Rega, VPI, so I am likely restricted to those brands".

If the OP follows through with this intention they will have at the least received a demonstration of TT's of interest in their locality, resulting in the most important that their ears being used as the Judge, their eyes will certainly have a influence, and any third party influences being introduced from a sales viewpoint will potentially impact on a overall assessment.

Many years ago in my earliest days of receiving demonstrations of TT's and TT's vs CD at a Dealership with a dedicated listening room, I would ask to be left by myself and not be exposed to the Sales Pitch, I would only ask for the support of sales when a device was to be exchanged, I would encourage the OP to adopt this method of carrying out a demonstration as well.

The OP does anticipate that their own selections might be increased with suggestions from others being offered. 

I really do hope the OP does receive demonstrations of devices that are of interest, and even better is using the local suppliers, try and have a follow up Home Demo' as well.

In my Country not too many years past when Dealerships were abundant and regularly available to visit, the idea of a customer requesting a follow up Home Demo' was a recognised part of the service, a purchase made on their premises only was an easy sale. 

To purchase a device on the strength of hearsay or a review is using fantasy as ones guide, no matter what they conjure up in their minds to justify the purchase the reality of a performance from the product when encountered can prove to be quite different during the assessment , to how another's assessment and description relates to it.