Intergrated Amp suggestions for B&W 805d4

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and to any music forum for that matter.  I have been reading a lot of threads here that I have been informative and helpful.

I am looking to match an intergrated amp with the new 805s, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

I have listened with the Naim Atom and Nova and personally, whilst  I liked the detail, I found it too forward and fatiguing.  With the Hegel 390, I found the bass rounder but top end more forward. With the Musical Fidelity M5si, I much preferred this sound as it was rounder and softer yet detailed but less detailed than the Naim.  (Apologies if I use the wrong audiophile terminology, I am unfamiliar with these terms but I am only using what I feel best fits with my discription of sound)

A few people have recommended the MA252 and MA 352 from McIntosh as they advised that this will soften the diamond tweeter and also bring warmth and extension to the bass.  Others have recommended tube amps like Prima Luna.

i have never owned or had any experience with tube amps.

Any suggestions, info or advice  for a good amp to match my speakers?

Thank you in advance.

ezikl

ezikl

a former 805 owner here. I owned Rotel gear matched to those early 805 monitors.

An excellent combination that will not break the bank. Excellent suggestions as above. Solid-state or Tubes, you cannot go wrong. Audition as much gear as possible.

Happy Listening!

I know that the B&W 805s have come a long way since I bought my pair of 805 Matrix speakers 25 or so years ago.  But I liked all three of the amps that I have owned with those speakers, and they were all tube amps.  My first tube amp was probably what you would call entry level; it was a Cary SLA 70 and although I liked it a lot, it was the one that was lacking of most sonic aspects that one would listen for in a system.  Next I had a pair of ARC VTM 120s, and that amp/speaker combination could rock out or play quiet.  I am now driving those same speakers with a Cary V12 (50 wpc in triode mode or 100 in ultralinear) and I cannot remember the last time I switched to the ultralinear mode.

But with all that typed, and with absolutely no sarcasm intended, it is quite possible that my ears are not as well tuned as yours and therefore that I am not as discriminating.  It is also possible that I am easier to please regarding presentations of sound that you might not tolerate.   

I also just bought the new in 805d4 in white…gorgeous speaker.

I will tell you any higher wattage tube amp will sound great with them…right now I’m running a pair of the newer kt150 quicksilver v4 monos at 170wpc…no brightness or harsh sound…b&w has greatly improved this with the latest versions.

Preamp is arc Ref6se and Berkeley ref2 dac…nice 2nd system….

just fyi I run magnepan 20.7 in my primary system and sometime I enjoy the b&w 805d4 “mini system” just as much.

thanks

Thanks Youngstown9169,

What wattage is considered high, how do find this out as it’s not spelled out in the specs most of the time?  Cheers