Inexpensive speaker cables: any experience?

I’m currently running some entry Kimber Kable speaker cables and looking at possibly upgrading. In my research I’ve come across some “budget” options on eBay. I assume they’re not great but curious if anyone has any experience with some “no-name” or “budget” cables? 

Thoughts on these? 

Thanks!

paulgardner

Recently replaced some thinnish speaker wire (prob. obtained at Radio Shack eons ago) with Canare 4S11 and it does sound quite a bit better to my ears. 2nd system in a workshop/art studio environment…

I needed longer runs than my Kimber Kable or Cardas wires would reach, so I bought some bulk OFC 12 gauge copper 4-conductor cable from Monoprice, added tech flex and terminated my own ends.  It's good....very good.

@oldhvymec - many thanks for the endorsement - it is very much appreciated👍

williewonka’s DIY RCAs are the biggest bang for the buck period. Are there better cables?

The answer to that is Yes - of course there is better

• take a look at Hijiri - I hear they are very good but a little pricey ($4k),
  • but according to one member it’s a swings and roundabouts kinda deal i.e.
    • The DIY’s are better at 1,2 and 3
    • the Hijiri are better at 4,5 and 6 but overall they do a little better job than the DIY's
  • But the cost of the Hijiri is not as much as other cables that boast to be "the best" -
    • while costing upwards of $30k for a 1 meter  interconnect (I kid you not)

The latest version of my DIY Helix interconnects with

• 2 x 20 gauge 5N solid silver signal wires and
  • 2 x 18 gauge 6N solid UP-OCC copper neutrals
  • finished with Absolute Harmony RCA’s
  • cost around $400 CDN for a 1 meter pair to build
  • and if you get the latest Perfect Harmony RCA’s (which I am yet to try) that price goes up to $460 CDN
  • But they are the best sounding Helix DIY Interconnect I have built to date

If anyone is interested in taking a look at the DIY Helix - here’s the link that shows how to build them

http://image99.net/blog/

MY VIEW - When you deploy cables at this level of performance, the differences are subtle and can vary due to the components in the system.

But upgrading from a more conventional cable design, to cables that use advanced geometry, wires and insulations - such as the cables mentioned above - the improvements can be a bit of a revelation

DIY or Hijiri - It really boils down to what YOU are prepared to pay to reach that elusive "Audio Nirvana".

Regards - Steve