Line Stage Preamps that blew you away $2500 Edition

Passive, tubes, solid state, jewel encrusted moon rocks, whatever. 

tell us what line stages blew you Away in the $2500 ish price catagory.

gochurchgo

@tyray  Its more or less how REL does it. I like the change. As for the Quicksilver I don't know where to go after. If I knew a solid state that sounded the same I'd have it already. My fear with passives is sounding thin, otherwise I have my eye on one that does both active and passive.

I have a passive pre that I pop in occasionally. It’s an older Promtheus Audio TVC. I’ve used it with a few different amps,and I never felt the sound to be thin. Before I made that purchase,I bought a Schiit audio SYS. Within a very short period,I knew this would work for me,and began my search for the Promitheus.  I’m currently running tube preamps in my systems. I really enjoy the tube flavor. However, I can’t see myself letting the passive go.  Sometimes,I just like different. 

@gochurchgo  Yeah, I think Rhythmic does the same. Reach out to each/that manufacture and see if you can/might get a loaner. You may/probably will have to pay a small deposit that you should get back.

After you introduce your self, tell him or her about your rig and after they see how much money you've spent on your gear and your seriousness you just may get that item on loan. You never know. 'Nothing betas a failure but a try'.  

You've already sold yourself. There're the sales people let them figure it out. It's Xmas man and Omicron is kicking ass. They need the sales. You seem like the type of guy that's got the moxie to give it a try!

Now if it's an international model, they still may have US dealers anxious to deal with you. Good luck my brother, and let us know how it goes!

Regarding the Quicksilver preamp.....  if it uses 6922 tubes and it eats them up try the Gold Lion 6922.  That tube is rugged and long lasting and you'd be surprised how good it sounds.    I needed to use one in my cj Classic 2se , it would get noisy in six months

If it is the 12AT7  I would try a NOS Mullard 6201....   

I tried using 6dj8 NOS tubes in my CJ and they didn't last long....   im surprised he said 500 hours for the Chinese tubes....thats not very long.   

@oddiofyl  actually yes! I do have a set of Mullard 6201’s that have lasted. I replaced them with the 4024’s as I wanted a slightly warmer sound. Why would the 6201’s be so much more robust though? I’m genuinely curious.