Line Stage Preamps that blew you away $2500 Edition

Passive, tubes, solid state, jewel encrusted moon rocks, whatever. 

tell us what line stages blew you Away in the $2500 ish price catagory.

gochurchgo

Do not go to tube Pre in this price range. You try and you will sell out later.

LTA (David Berning) MZ2 cost less but I put at the top of the heap in this price range.

Agree with Runwell....   I just bought a Zesto Leto , it was NIB leftover  but never sold.  I paid $3500, worth every penny.    I would look for something out of your reach new that you can afford used .   That Zesto made it sound like I literally got a new system the upgrade was so night and day.   It was not subtle!!!   The preamp is the heart of a good system and one of the best places to put your money.

@oddiofyl  that’s the reason I’m looking to move on from mine. I like what I have but I feel like it doesn’t elevate the system. 

been looking at used Herron, Hornshoppe, Supratek, Backert. I run subs so 2 sets of outs are a necessity unless there’s another way around that.

@jackd  tell me more about the Supratek?

If you can lay your hands on a used Backert Rhumba 1.3, it will bring smile on your face when you introduce it in your system and listen to it. Unfortunately they don't show up often.

@unsound  either or.

@milpai  I’ve seen a 1.1 and debated it. You’re right though, Rhumbas don’t show up often if ever.

I almost bought a Backert Rhumba, heard great things about it.   The most impressive thing about the Zesto is despite being tube it's super quiet.   99dB speakers, no signal, turn the volume to 3 o'clock and nothing... silence.   Not even the normal slightest high frequency hiss that you hear in most systems.   Complete silence .  From that silence comes explosive dynamics ,   the Zesto is incredible .  My former cj preamp was great, it served me well but this is in another league altogether. 

In that range you could check out Hattor, “The BIG” which sounds really good and can do just about anything a preamp should do functionally.

• choice of passive or active operation, switchable by remote on the fly
  • active stage offers choice of +3, 6, or 9 dB gain, also switchable by remote
  • active stage via choice of op amps, including the well regarded NewClassD dual ultimate edition
  • 64-step discrete resistor dual mono volume controls
  • full-service remote
  • choice of resistors between Vishay SMD, Takman REX carbon or REY metal film, or Amtrans AMRG carbon film
  • choice of case color
  • Big, easy to read, dimmable display
  • Balanced and single-ended ins and outs
  • outboard linear power supply
  • Home Theatre input available

List price is exactly $2,500 with the top options - XLR, AMRG resistors, and the NewClassD active stage. See it here.

There were some really nice preamps at $2999 recently, a used Zesto Leto 1.5...., a used Audio Valve Eclipse, Backert Rythm 1.1.   For a little more than$ 2500 used you can step into some serious tube preamps if you are patient.  

Patience will definitely pay off. When I was searching for my endgame preamp,it seemed the $2500-$3500 price point was loaded with great gear. 

Sonic Frontiers Line 3. I’m typically firmly in the solid state camp, but this tube line stage impressed the heck out of me.

The Zesto was $7500 new,  it was praised as the best sounding pre under 10k by several magazines... a clean one is a steal for what they go for used , when they pop up.  

Vincent SA 31MK, just superseded by the SA 32. Both are good. MK is class A.

Recently I was able to buy a slightly used Aesthetix Calypso for Aus $2200. It is an absolute knockout, nothing I have bought before made as much difference to the SQ. Huge soundstage, dynamic and above all totally musical.

Dennis Had LP-2030 Preamp/Linestage - Single Ended Class A - a phenomenal

preamp.  

Incredible deal on the Zesto. Congratulations on finding one for so little. They make excellent products.

As far as new goes, the Black Ice Audio Fusion F360 is a great sounding tube line stage with some unique features. $2k retail.

Must check out Klaus' Odyssey Audio: Candela and Tempest, tubed & SS, Pres, respectively.

I picked up the Tempest a year ago ... couldn't recommend higher especially for the price!!

Recently added The Benchmark LA-4 with their DAC3 B, to my system, WOW, what an improvement. It almost seems as though, a new audio system was introduced to your ears. Robert TN

@gochurchgo

So tell me how it sounds. Super interested.

In short, it sounds great. Over a period of years, I went through many tubed and solid state preamps and finally ended up with a custom, unity-gain, McCormack TLC-1 that was modified by Steve McCormack at SMc audio about 5 years ago. Steve has told me "your preamp sounds very close to my VRE-1." It should, since it uses the exact same power supply, same Lundahl transformers, and same Shallco volume control as his first version VRE-1.

The ONLY shortcoming of my modified preamp is the absence of a remote volume control and display. Having a remote and display has become more important to me in recent years so with Steve’s help, I took the volume control out of the circuit by replacing it on the board with a pair of Audio Note silver tantalum resistors so I could use the preamp as a buffer in conjunction with a passive unit that has a remote and display.

That is how I became acquainted with Arek Kallas of Khozmo and Hattor. I had tried multiple passives and determined I liked the sound of the resistor units better than the transformer-based units. Khozmo offers a very nice passive with a large display and full-function remote so last year I purchased a dual-mono, balanced passive unit (picture on my system page) to pair with my buffer/preamp. More recently, I have thought about trying his larger Hattor preamp that also offers the option of an internal active stage using a choice of op amps. The goal would be to simplify and to remove the separate buffer and extra interconnects. Last weekend I inquired about having Arek make one for me and then the same day I emailed him the very type of unit I was inquiring about (with the NewClassD Dual Ultimate discrete op amps) came up for sale at USAM, so I purchased it.

I received the unit on Friday and I am in the process of comparing the Hattor with my Khozmo/SMc preamp/buffer combination, and also comparing the sound of the Khozmo with the Hattor, when both are used as a passive with the SMc buffer. I had chosen the Takman REY metal film resistors for my Khozmo passive unit and the Hatter preamp has the more expensive Amtrans AMRG carbon film resistors.

So far, my observations are that the Hattor with +3dB gain (through the internal op amps) sounds very close to the Hattor run passively through the much more expensive SMc buffer/preamp unit. I also believe that in my system, the Amtrans AMRG carbon film resistors sound slightly better than the Takman REY metal film resistors. Bottom line, if you want a full-function, solid state unit with remote and display, it may be hard to do better than the Khozmo for $2,500.

@mitch2  thanks. To your ears does the Hattie achieve that “band/artist in your room” sense of presence? Do you feel the sound has adequate weight and dimension?

Rogue Audio RH-5 Tube Linestage / Headphone Amp.  $2.5K list. 

Stereophile Class A

Balanced design - the pricier RP-5 is not balanced. 

Adjustable gain. 

Superb headphone amp. 

2X 12AU7 tubes.

Clear, refined, open detailed with outstanding dynamics and sound stage.  

@fuzztone "Used Sanders line stage." Do you mean Mike Sanders' Quicksilver products?

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of systems out there where the preamp is the bottleneck....  that said there are great speakers that aren’t realizing their full potential, sold off for the latest and greatest.... it’s a vicious circle 

@oddiofyl  100% agree and I feel like that’s where I’m at. I like my line stage but it’s the only piece that hasn’t “wow’d me” from its install. I feel like a great line stage for the money is where I can make that leap.

People are saying a lot of good things about the Backert but still it’s $4500 so not cheap ...  Rogue is probably best bang for the buck and fits price wise.  Rogue consistently puts out good stuff.   

@gochurchgo

To your ears does the Hattie achieve that “band/artist in your room” sense of presence? Do you feel the sound has adequate weight and dimension?

To your first question, IME, no preamp can do that, and certainly not on its own without being but one piece in an otherwise really good system.

To your “adequate weight and dimension” question, I would say that as a passive, both the Khozmo unit with the Takman REY resistors and the Hattor with the Amtrans AMRG carbon film resistors do very well at passing along what they are fed. My initial impressions are that the Takman REY resistors are a touch more revealing while the AMRG resistors are a touch more musical, or not quite as honest, and fall on the spectrum somewhere between carbon comp and metal film resistors. My opinion has always been that buffered or active preamps in most cases provide more weight and dimension than pure passives, which have usually sounded slightly thin when I have directly compared them to actives in my systems. Based on my listening so far, engaging the NewClassD op amp circuit on the Hattor (I have been using 3dB gain) adds the necessary weight, tonal density, and dimension that is similar to when I engage my SMc Audio unity gain buffer with a passive volume control. I am not convinced the sound through the Hathor’s op amp circuit is better than through my SMc buffer, but it may be close enough.

@avanti1960  I had been looking at the RP-1 but read the RP5 is better. The RH-5 is interesting but without a second set of variable outs I’m not sure how I’d run subs. 
Rogue is a brand I’m interested I for sure. Too bad Sutherland doesn’t make a line stage! 

Keep saving, get the best preamp you can reasonably afford and you will have no regrets. Of course everything counts but the preamp handles switching , and it drives your amp(s)... it’s importance is often overlooked....

"The Truth" from the Hornshoppe. This took me completely by surprise, notwithstanding the rave comments from Arthur Salvatore in the Audio Critique. It's a buffered, active line stage but without gain and uses light diodes to control volume. I have had at least 20 preamps in my system over the last 50 years and I don't think any have matched the transparency and lack of noise that The Truth displays. 

Search out Aric Audio for gear and accolades on forum threads...you will be rewarded with your efforts. Better yet, call him!

@gochurchgo 

with the RH5 you have multiple options for sub out-

1 use high level speaker connections

2 use Y adaptors on the RCA outs

3 use the balanced out for amplifier connection, RCA for sub or vice versa.

4 use a female XLR to female RCA adaptor on the balanced out connections.  

if you like a transparent, neutral, refined dynamic sound this is the one.  should have kept mine.  

why so much love for the small time operator products?  sure they sound good but customer service and delivery can be a nightmare.  

Vincent SA-T7.  Super holographic and quiet. 

Shamelessly, here's one I have to sell with a great host of NOS rare tubes.