Projects, rebuilds and or modifications….

Who here is in the middle of one or two? Currently I’m working on a Hafler DH-101. After reading the pooge articles and testimonials from other forums over the years, I decided to give it a go. So far the improvement in sound quality is not insignificant. 

128x128wturkey

Replacing anywhere from 16-24 stock resistors in the signal paths of each of my ARC REF 40 preamp and REF 10 Phono with Vishay Z-foil/TX2575s. Mucho improvement, but trying to figure out the right number and positions for best results. Still fiddling with it.

Also will be playing with a pair of TUBULUS Argentus DB-25 cables on my Pass Labs XVR-1-3 way crossover. This unit was modified some time ago during a 2 year period with ~130 parts replacements in 30 different listening trials. I’m never doing that again thank God...!

barrysandy there’s a guy on WBF who,s done a beautiful job on his ref 40 the same resistor upgrade along with extensive more mods, look it up its worth a look up to see the extent he has gone with many photos of his journey.

A couple months ago I replaced the g luxman electrolytic caps with Nichicon FW and resistor with a Audio Note 1/2 w and the ac inlet with furutech ncf in two W4S LPS powering the router and fmc the second powering fmc and aqvox switch.

Clean power is a Must in the digital area with usually minimum expense and the greatest amount of sound improvements.

The biggest joy I get from modding is the steps of improvement and the sq improvements you can achieve with the proper mix and there are many sideway moves and a few set backs.

“The biggest joy I get from modding is the steps of improvement and the sq improvements you can achieve with the proper mix and there are many sideway moves and a few set backs.”

Agreed. Regardless of the modifications being a win or a loss, it is knowledge acquired. The school of hard knocks, if you will. 

Another one I’m trying to workaround is the VPI Periphery Ring. My main table has an 11 1/2” platter that I’m quite happy with. Unfortunately the ring requires a 12” platter. Found some 1/4” o-ring material. Going to try to make a ring spacer for the periphery ring.