2.1 to 5.2 (Vandersteen 2C)

I have a pair of 2C which I have had since the mid 80s.Other than the WAF they are great.
We just got an LG OLED and the spoken parts are pretty dire for sound, so looking at going 5.2…
Is staying in the Vandersteen lineup a good idea?Or should I be considering other options?
128x128holmz
The sound from my Samsung TV was quite anemic, so I bought a zVox for $250.00 and love it.  I has settings for dialog and now we don't need the TV loud to hear what is being said.  I never use my audio system with the TV.
@bkeske I have AV processor coming, so I figured I would take the XLR to RCA and run the L/R through the stereo amp…(Is this what you meant?)
Then I think I can just run the AV outputs to some plate amps the only level matching would be to remember to set the stereo preamp to a known position like 12 o’clock.

@erik_squires I have an MP-50 on its way (used). So that is HDMI-in and HMDI-out to the LG.Mostly there is just a NUK (Intel PC) streaming in NetFlix. We have a handful of DVDs, maybe 10–20 at the most, and rarely view those. So it is NUK—>LG now, and will be NUK—>MP50–> LG.
I considered a MiniDSP, but the lip syncing, etc had me just jump to a full AV-preamp… plus I wasn’t sure I could get HMDI into MiniDSP… (think I should have checked before jumping in)

@bkeske Yeah I think used is fine for me… The room is 18’ wide + another 12 for a dining room, and 14’ deep. The ceiling it’s 11am high. (I can supply those dimensions in metric, rather than freedom units - but it is probably sort of common for a mixed use room in an older house).
There is not a lot of room as the sofa is against a wall. So I was thinking a used set of VSM1 on the left and right wall 95 degrees to the sides of us.(Definitely no room for a 7.x.x system.)
On the Vandersteen Q&A page, it looks like a VCC1 is not enough so I should be looking at VCC2 or a VCC5. I will probably go for a VCC2 as the WAF is the hardest part to address.
It should probably help if the TV is wall mounted, and if I put together a cabinet below it for the gear to sit in.
I am also thinking of putting a buttkicker on the sofa for the 10-30Hz, (so we remember to evacuate when the monsters or other scary sounds/feeling happen.) Or something to do the <20 or <25 Hz stuff. The other aspect related to the WAF stuff is that she both doesn’t like loud sounds (hyperaccousis) , and simultaneously has a hard time hearing the dialogue.Is a butt kicker a decent option to augment “bottom end” LFE sounds?
Hi holmz, glad you made it over here and getting some good advice. I can't comment on the above info except to say about 3 years ago my wife and I added two bass shakers under our couch and absolutely love them. Aurasound and a beefy plate amp which we enclosed in a walnut cabinet. Dialed in the crossover and volume and smile every time they kick in. They're not for everybody but it was money well spent for us. 

One cool thing about them is they can be fully active and as soon as you stand up you can't tell they're on. Good luck.
Thanks Doc… I’ll likely use a Hypex plate amp, as I already have a couple of the 502 (500W X2 Channels)… so I can test one iut with a buttkicker and one with a bandpass sub.
for those as I who refuse to put their TV right smack in the middle between our ‘front speakers’, a center channel speaker is a must. '

Clearly I wasn't speaking to off-center watching.  With some Netflix series you'll have a serious problem anyway, since you will have no center at all (unless you are lucky enough to have a processor which will force 5.1 to Dolby ProLogic). :)  You'd be much better off with a 3 channel sound bar.

Best,

Erik