Flipping record causing series of loud pops

I just got my first tube phono preamp.  Now when I take a record off the turntable I hear a series of loud pops.  If I use my solid state phono no pops.
I hope someone has a solution
jefgerard
You can always tell the Rookies. You MUTE or Volume down. You know like it says in ANY older and a lot of new manuals. Try lifting a phono low MC cart with a 30-1 SUT and all valves. You’ll go broke replacing tweeters to woofers and usually the phono stage takes the brunt of the improper procedure.

Folks just because you don’t practice GOOD TT 101 rules you get the big "Stand in the corner and learn" with a pointed hat..

It’s obvious you NEVER used just valves.

If every piece of gear is point to point using valves and you don’t volume down. You will blow something up.. plane and simple. ANYONE that says different is just to young to remember or never used a TT in the 50s on up.. 1959 for me. that’s when my DADDY taught me the fine art of dropping the ol tonearm.. BTW.. Volume was ALWAYS turned down on the first Marantz console with JBL RANGER METREGON C45s.

Don’t volume down.. Pure rookies.. Same people don’t use their turn signals when they drive AND ride (not drive) bicycles.. To lazy and defiant to learn, the RIGHT way..

It’s an easy fix OP.. Volume down and that alone usually discharges you enough to do a record flip.. 63 years of flippin’ vinyl for me, share 78 or 16 rpm stories any time..

Anyway OP easy peasy fix... I just got my new Decware ZP3 I’m watching it just set there and glow. LOW NOISE. 29 db.. just turned it on 20 min ago... I’ll leave it on a week or so.. Then maybe some tinkering..

New valve units with new valves, NOT going in my system until I make sure there are NO valve failures. I know you rookies don’t do that either..
You’re so smart. Now you know the trick to not replacing 2K in tweeters every time you add a new piece of gear. POP my foot. BANG!! and smoke comes rolling out... Don’t volume down..

And start using your turn signals, too busy playing with your Iphone while your herding your cars around (not driving). Puttin' on makeup drivin'. :-)

Dumb (not young) whipper snappers.. Quick to talk, AND SLOW to listen and learn, heaven forbid..... I’ll talk slower next time...

Regards to the OP he/she is trying to learn why and HOW to fix and issue. Not learn, the WRONG way of using equipment..

For many of my years in this hobby, static plagued my enjoyment of vinyl playback. I used to (carefully) remove the polonium strip from a Staticmaster brush and glue it to the underside of a Watts Dust Bug until I found the needle talk to be audible after switching to a lower noise phono preamp. Rabco, H-K, Linn, Technics, SOTA...all had static. I used a Discwasher Zerostsat for years. Then I got a Well Tempered TT/TA and have never had a pop since 1989...heating season, summertime all the same. My theory is it’s the viscous damping and the acrylic platter that together make it immune. Whatever the reason, WT has solved an age old conundrum of vinyl playback and no one seems to regard this as a breakthrough that should be emulated. Has anyone else identified another make of TT similarly static-proof?  Clearaudio uses a synthetic platter and a magnetic bearing that may confer the same benefit, but I’ve never lived with one. 
Hi oldhvymec and others.

All very well to mute after every side if you have a mute switch.
But if you have to down the volume pot and then up it again every 20 minutes you will soon wear it out.  After all many get noisy after 20 years of normal use (i.e not often touching it, muting at end of a session).
At that rate you could even wear out a mute switch, although this is much cheaper to replace than a pair of high quality pots.

I once got the static 'pop' and cured it with a Zerostat aimed at mat and turntable.  I haven't had it since so am safe to leave the volume up.

I flipped my first record in about 1962 and I've used valve pre-amps since the mid-70s.  I leave the volume where it is and have never had any problems, certainly not with blowing tweeters every month or two.  I don't get 'pops'.

Leave fetish to the fetishists.
Acrylic platter, felt mat, not so good record brush, humidity, a more sensitive phono stage?, Try to turn the volume down or mute till you short it out.