Victory at Sea - original LPs Vs Remastered LP or CD

One frequently hears excerpts of these stirring symphonic works on public radio and I have always thought of picking up a copy, either LP or CD.  Reading the reviews on Amazon is largely worthless as one reviewer will give 5 stars and the next 1 star for recording quality with little in-depth comment as to why.  If you own these works I would be interested in hearing your recommendations.  One question I have is I assume these are all monophonic recordings, is that correct. 

It has been my experience that the monophonic RCA recordings from this era were quite good, often as good as the remastered versions on certain labels.  So my thought is I do not want to spend a wad-o-cash if the originals are reasonably close to any remastered versions. 
lubachl
Thank you 4Track. I did not know there were separate records for the soundtrack and for the recording sessions.  The only vinyl I have seen is the two record set RCA VCS-7064. This appears to be the recording session and not a movie soundtrack, which would be most preferable.
I just listened to some of it in remastered stereo on Tidal. It sounded rather good. This is definitely NOT elevator music,* but film score by the composer Richard Rodgers. Like many film scores, whether it can be listened to in isolation, or must be attached to the film for appreciation, is up to you.

*Try the Guadalcanal March in the elevator!
This is something best seen and heard on DVD .

US now has less than 10% of industrial power it had then and every American should see how this DVD makes it clear as clear can be better than anything you will ever see or hear.

Thank you 1 % .

Schubert, I bet you were one of those officers who forced me to watch "Victory At Sea".

While I had no choice in whether or not I watched Victory At Sea, I actually enjoyed it; it certainly beat a lot of other duties.
Since I never got past E-8 I doubt it .

The film/ DVD is Iconic in American  Film  History  , no joke when I say 
every American should see it . They should !

DVD is not expensive .