Looking for a new phono preamp

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Here's the deal. I'd like to find a new phono preamp. I'd prefer solid state, tubes get noisy too fast. My latest cartridge is an AT-ART9XA. I'm currently running thru a sut into a cj pv10a with phono stage, but I have just got my hands on a Bel Canto pre5 that the new phono pre will be paired with.

I've got a hard upper limit of $2.5k, less is OK for the right unit. I'm looking to buy new. Dealers around me aren't really set up to demo vinyl, so I'm hoping the collective experience in here can at least point me in the right direction. Hopefully, it would have a one month return policy so I can try out the preamp.

TIA.

PsychoicReaction
psychoticreaction
Check out the Tavish Design "Adagio" phono stage with the beefier transformers at $2400, which comes in at your price point. The only downsides are that there is a 5-6 week wait time and a 5% restocking fee for returns within 30 days. I owned one and it is easy to use and sounded very good, although I did sell it after about two years and moved up to a Luxman EQ500. BTW - I also owned a Herron VTPH 2A and I thought that it sounded great on classical and jazz, but not so much on rock. (Not surprising since Keith has a classical music background.) I felt that is slowed transients and made the music too "soft" sounding. The person I sold it to, loved it.
"BTW - I also owned a Herron VTPH 2A and I thought that it sounded great on classical and jazz, but not so much on rock. (Not surprising since Keith has a classical music background.)"

I rarely post on the forums, but this is the second time I have seen this post so I will step in here briefly to make a much needed correction. I have played piano and drums in bands, orchestras, jazz combos, and rock groups. I like all those genres and more. I have also designed guitar and bass amps along with audio equipment. A phono stage is not right unless it does all genres equally well. The end result in any audio system is how well the entire system is matched to deliver correct timing which brings life to the music. Much like all the lenses in a telescope which all must be in focus, everything in an audio system counts. (That also includes the tubes you are using) - Keith Herron

Ditto on the Herron.   I have both the VTPH-2A and the Parasound JC3+....I prefer the Herron but you won’t go wrong with either.   

— Jim
Hi

I would strongly recommend looking at the new PS Audio Stellar phono preamp. All the reviews are very positive. Retail is $2500.00. Solid state. PS Audio has a 30 day full refund trial period. According to Stereophile Michael Fremer says it is a giant killer. Definitely one you want to look into. Good luck. 

Scot
Ok, so the  Herron is on it's way.  I'll be posting more on this once I get it into my system, and I'm sure I will have some questions for the owners of the VTPH-2A.

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions, I looked into almost every one.  I have to admit I have wanted to try on of the Herron products since I first heard a demo in the early 2000s, so I took a chance on a used unit.

I'm looking forward to find out what kind of effect it will have on my system.