Receivers compatible with Infinity CS-3008 speakers

Hello.  I am new to this and I by no means consider myself to be an audiophile.  My low end Onkyo receiver is severely under powered for my Infinity CS-3008s (clipping at a moderately high volume).  My previous receiver was a Technics circa early eighties model which apparently could not keep up and was recently taken off life support.  Question: What is the recommended power rating for a receiver/amp which will do justice to my speakers?  I am open to recommendations as to make and model, but am not looking to take out a second mortgage on my home in order to upgrade to a better receiver which hopefully will be matched to my speakers (which will probably be the last speakers I ever own in my life).  Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Cameron
128x128cpkennelley
What’s the power output of your Onkyo?  The manual says your speakers are pretty efficient at 90dB and “compatible with an 8Ohm tap” for whatever that’s worth. Unless you’re a total headbanger with bass-heavy music I’d think 100Wpc should be sufficient, but it really depends on your sound preferences.  If you’re looking for a clear, neutral sound there’s an Anthem MRX520 for $700 on US AudioMart I’d hop on ASAP if it has the features you need.  If you want more power there’s also an MRX720 for $1700 on eBay.  If you don’t want to buy used their new models will cost around $1000 more, but you could also consider a Yamaha RX-A1080 from Accessories4less.com for $1000 when one comes available.  I compared all the major brands when I worked at Magnolia and the Yammys were the best by a good amount for 2-channel performance and also happen to be one of the most reliable makes (along with Anthem).  If you’re looking for a warmer, fuller sound then look no further than Marantz. 

If you don’t absolutely need an AVR you’ll get much better sound from a stereo integrated amp that you could integrate with any AVR that has preouts if you need that added functionality.  Hope this helps, and best of luck. 
As mentioned more info needed.

It would help if you would list the model # of both receivers as well as the approximate size of the listening room and your high/low budget.

If you only need an integrated 2-channel amp (no tuner) then that's useful info as well.

DeKay
cpkennelley

The Infinity CS-3008 is an excellent loudspeaker. Probably the last great Infinity speaker series. If you enjoy the Onkyo sound- upgrade to a higher powered Receiver. If not, seek out an Integrated Amp.
These speakers are not too difficult to drive. More power will result in a better aural experience. Have fun auditioning!

Happy Listening!