Receivers compatible with Infinity CS-3008 speakers

Hello.  I am new to this and I by no means consider myself to be an audiophile.  My low end Onkyo receiver is severely under powered for my Infinity CS-3008s (clipping at a moderately high volume).  My previous receiver was a Technics circa early eighties model which apparently could not keep up and was recently taken off life support.  Question: What is the recommended power rating for a receiver/amp which will do justice to my speakers?  I am open to recommendations as to make and model, but am not looking to take out a second mortgage on my home in order to upgrade to a better receiver which hopefully will be matched to my speakers (which will probably be the last speakers I ever own in my life).  Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Cameron
128x128cpkennelley

Showing 2 responses by dekay

As mentioned more info needed.

It would help if you would list the model # of both receivers as well as the approximate size of the listening room and your high/low budget.

If you only need an integrated 2-channel amp (no tuner) then that's useful info as well.

DeKay
Wow...

Did a bit of searching and well reviewed integrated amps and receivers with 100 watts, or so are in the $1K+ range (aside from the Yamaha Mesch mentioned).

Audioadvisor has a Cambridge receiver (100 watts I think) for $500, but it has mixed reviews (some great/some not).

The Outlaw receiver (now $1K) has good reviews (including the phono section) and the power section seems to safe for head banging SPL's with your speakers.

Oddly enough you could put together a system for $920 (not including tax/shipping) from Schiit Audio comprised of...

- Vidar power amp $700
- SYS passive preamp $50
- Mani phono preamp $130
- 2 pairs of 6" IC cables $40

And, they are made in California.

I myself would prefer a simple integrated solution (been thinking of replacing my separate's with such for a few years now), but the Schiit stuff is enticing.

DeKay