Which speakers did you find bright, fatiguing or just disappointing in some way?

OK, controversial subject but it needs asked. I'm curious for your experiences, mainly in your home, not a dealer and esp. not a show demo
greg7
fastfreight: Which dealer?  My local dealer has them sounding incredible but they always mention how they hear of other dealers setting them up horribly and doing them a great disservice.
I'm afraid it is you who is being dishonest. Just because he disagreed with my criticism of Green mountain audio, it doesnt mean I was dishonest.

I'll simply let readers decide who the dishonest one is, by copying Roy Johnson's summary of your behavior from the linked thread:

Your Green Mtn. speakers were not setup for you by a retailer. You purchased them from us, directly. I have your invoice, emails, Paypal receipt and shipping documents.

They are Chroma speakers, with the time-domain improvements in the crossover circuits compared to original Rio.

Upon delivery and for years afterwards, you had the speakers in a very poor room, quite acoustically inferior in every way. I have your cell phone video showing this and your emails describing it. And you have my helpful response suggesting the best and least-expensive ways in which to fix its acoustic problems and what (and WHY) you would hear along the way.

Six months or more later, after I had not heard from you for quite a while, you took these speakers apart and removed their fiberglass linings. I have your email describing this. In it, you also remark how you cracked at least one marble cabinet by not putting a screw back into its correct hole.

You removed the tweeters, laid the cabinets on their sides, and set the tweeters on the 'new' cabinet tops. I have your email.

You removed the crossover circuits and modified them to second-order circuits, which negates any time-coherence. I have your email.

More than a year after your purchase, after I informed you that these modifications voided your warranty, you lied to American Express by telling them you had been promised a refund. I provided proof to them that this was false and they denied your request for refund. I have the emails on this.

Another year passes without contact, and you lie to AMEX again. This time, their agent did not contact us or Paypal, so AMEX leveraged Paypal to give you a partial refund of US$1200, which you accepted. Paypal removed these funds from our account with no notice. I have the emails to Paypal showing them how you were not promised a refund, and that you had already owned these speakers for YEARS, and that you had modified them. They agreed with me, then told me their contract was with AMEX, not us, so they had to do what AMEX told them. We had to take this financial loss and so I decided we could no longer accept Paypal from any customer, thanks to you.

After receiving this false refund, YOU KEPT THESE SPEAKERS.

Two years later, with no provocation, you began new threads on Audiogon attacking me. Audiogon removed them at my request, after many others posted their responses that something was 'not right' with you, as you would not answer their questions and instead began insulting them. These folks did not even own Green Mtn!

Green mountain has had numerous complaints, I am certainly not the only one. 
Heres a complaint made to bbb:

https://www.bbb.org/us/co/colorado-springs/profile/audio-visual-equipment-rental/green-mountain-audi...

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/r-i-p-rest-in-peace-roy-johnson-green-mountain-audio-s-genius

Here are a few other comments from the thread above. There appears to have been many victims. Hopefully this evidence casts doubt on Roys credibility regarding his views on our transaction.

I know that myself and several other individuals had prepaid for some upcoming designs that were to include the ribbon tweeter.  
I know I am doubtless the only one who's speakers are currently sitting in his shop, being built, or in various stages of repair or completion. I would love to be able to eventually get them back (mine have been there for several months for a simple crossover cooking)
He had a pair of Chroma HX's almost finished for me... they were supposed to ship mid July.  That will not happen at this point unfortunately
I need replacement woofers , payed for 2 new woofers and had been texting him back and forth for a while. He was in the process of finding a matched set for my speakers when I suddenly couldn't get in touch with him.
I ordered one of his 3-way designs, which represented a significant financial investment for me. I do not know why there was a delay, but they were not delivered until 9 months later, had manufacturing faults, and needed to be returned to the factory. This was not arranged for another 18 months, however. Then, after endless promises, I never received a replacement pair or a refund, and by the time I found that I could sue him from overseas, I was thwarted by a statute of limitations. I remained in contact with Roy, and the promises of a refund never stopped, but I ultimately lost a lot of money.
I too have speakers that he had been reworking for 18 months
he said they were ready and then nothing
no contact email or phone. I’m out big bucks if I can’t contact someone to get them back.
More spend a lot more time and money and drive out to Colorado and who knows what’s left??? Can anyone help me?
However, he has, on more than one occasion, taken money from customers and promised them the world only to not make good on his promises.  
Roy basically lived hand to mouth and was just trying to survive doing what he knew how to do best, make great speakers.
I had once referred a customer to Roy and he promised this poor guy a custom effort on a new pair of speakers he was designing.  Needless to say the customer paid for the speakers but NEVER received them.  More promises and a little more bullshitting.  This went on for over 2 years until the gentleman finally gave up.
Roy’s ability to design was undeniable.  His business prowess was horrific.  He wasn’t a bad person but not everyone knew him the same way.  
For all those who loved the man, I’m not saying Roy wasn’t a great designer.  I AM SAYING that those of us who’ve known him for a long time or tried to do business with him, know (knew) the real Roy.  On that note, I’ll leave it at that and no longer comment on his character.
Some people have concerns (people got swindled) though and you should mind your business.  This is the perfect place for them to seek retribution.  The proper audience is in attendance.
I have already sought advice from a solicitor about making a claim as a creditor against Roy's estate
The gushing responses of people who I am guessing really didnt "know" the man is what necessitates the unsavory posts. I maintain that when you screw people over this becomes part of your legacy.
After lengthy conversations with Roy over the last couple of years, it became obvious that I was going to have to be lucky to get them.The whole thing was a version of go fund me. I paid for speakers more than 4 years ago. I know I will never get them. There was nothing to get from him then, and there is nothing left to get now.
After knowing Roy for 8+ years and speaking with him on a nearly a weekly basis I feared this would become his legacy and told him so. I did own several iterations of his speakers, but stopped doing business with him after our last deal.  After that i always told him if he needed money I would rather him ask, then sell me a product I knew he wasn’t able to deliver.

• I am still looking for anyone who has been contacted in any way following Roy Johnson’s death. There are a lot of us who have been left hanging with money and speakers in Roy’s possession and no word of anyone who is taking responsibility for his business affairs.
  • I’m sure the family could simply liquidate and pocket the proceeds or Roy could have left a will that included returning goods already paid for to the customers.
  • At this point, all contact numbers and email and website have been terminated.
  • There has been no effort to leave any way to contact someone responsible.
  • If anyone can help, please leave a reply...