Looking to buy a quality integrated $10,000 budget.

I’m at the point now I’m happy with my speakers, Klipsch La Scala AL5 at 105db sensitivity or there about and 8ohm load. I really don’t need big power. Unfortunately many integrated, as you go up the companies lines, keep adding power and not much else I’m not really into paying for something I’ll never use.

I do not need a DAC built in, I do not need a phono stage built in but I would not count them out if they were good quality and I could reduce the box load. So if I replace them I would need something as good inside the integrated as the Gold Note PH10 phono stage and Schiit Gungnir multi bit DAC that I currently use.

Sources are; Garrard 301 table set up with Jelco 12"arm and Van Den Hull Cart (and a Soundsmith MI), PC based streamer, multi disc player and Apple TV 4K (all the digital goes into the DAC) and a tuner (I like the Seattle NPR radio, Jazz 24).

I’m so far considering in Tube or SS class A (preferably but wont rule others out):

- Luxman 590axii, class A 30wpc. this is a top choice for me right now. change my mind?
- Luxman Tube integrated like the LX 380
- Accuphase E 650 (used-older as USA prices are overpriced mind you I can get it cheaper in Canada so may not be an issue),
- McIntosh MAC 7200, more power then I’ll ever need but many features like a tuner, phono stage etc. so could go to one box but what’s the compromise with all that inside?
- BAT VK801 and others never heard a BAT (recommended from a friend) so not sure, I don’t have anywhere near me to listen so don’t say go listen.
- Sungden but I have to admit I find them homely and a little basic looking.
- Triode Labs and Finale Audio (great gear by the way) I’ve considered (again) but I really want a remote and need more then 3 inputs.
- Pass labs class A if I can find one used and in my budget.
- Decware and the other smaller tube amps are also in the back of my head.
- what am I forgetting or don’t know that’s the question?

Sound is paramount but it has to appeal to me looks-function wise as well, I just can not look at a homely integrated regardless of the sound. Also I really want a remote this time around! If I kept both DAC and Phono stages I could go (partially) balanced but my tuner is single ended so its not important to me. Also I would like to stay away from Chinese production for now. Recently used ( newer then 10 years) or New is what I’m thinking.

I’m kind of trending away from tubes just tired of replacing them, 300b’s no way ever again. I Live in an open concept Loft so my main system does everything TV-movies-music. I also tend to have my system on playing from 4pm to midnight through the week and all day and night weekends (when I’m home of course) so my system gets lots of use this is why I’m thinking tubes may be done in my audio life maybe we will see.

I do not like the looks of Mac’s sloped front integrated tube amps similar to AudioNotes new integrated I find that sloped face not to my tastes. AudioNote in general I find over priced for what you get. yes I’ve owned some.

I have listen to some Moon gear wasn’t for me. And Rega’s new stuff again not for me. Naim, Linn pass not for me, been there done that not my cup of tea. Vintage is for my bedroom so not here.

looking for;
Dynamics, good bass control but good separation of notes, sweet top end that’s not edgy or overly bright, midrange that’s involving, huge soundstage maybe the word musical comes to mind. I tend to a slightly warmer side of neutral but not too much. All types of music except classical. I don’t listen above 85db.

ok I think I’ve put enough in here for a reasonable response.

What amps should I consider in this price range new or used? one last thing I live in western Canada.

Glen

128x128glennewdick
Hi Glen
I have listen to some Moon gear wasn’t for me. And Rega’s new stuff again not for me. Naim, Linn pass not for me, been there done that not my cup of tea. looking for;
Dynamics, good bass control but good separation of notes, sweet top end that’s not edgy or overly bright, midrange that’s involving, huge soundstage maybe the word musical comes to mind. I tend to a slightly warmer side of neutral but not too much.
Of the integrateds I’ve auditioned, the following fit your bill, your preferences, and your budget
  • Accuphase 600 series (you should be OK with the 30W model)
  • MF Nuvista 6000
  • Pass Int 60
  • ATC - SIA2-100 (well within yr budget)
  • Luxman 590
If you're itnerested in further research, there is also an impressingly good 120W "triode" SS integrated from a company called BFA I heard; unfortunately I don’t remember anything else about it.
Enjoy the quest!
I own several integrated amps and a variety of speakers. All the choices on your list look good to me, so you can't go wrong.
I do own Luxman 590 AXII and I believe you would be very happy with it. As far as tube integrated are concerned you should also consider Raven's Osprey MK3 and the various Allnic tube integrated amps.
Another vote for Raven.  I think it would be a great match for your speakers.  The ability to tweak the sound to your needs is another bonus.  Dave could easily guide you in that regard.  They are also very nice looking units.  
millercarbonhttps://www.ravenaudio.com/product/reflection-mk2/
Done. Next question?

Which is the one that works well with horns? The quote below is from the link on the Raven website to the review of the Reflection amp

"I don’t think the Raven will mate very well with some horns. Horns tend to enhance dramatic tension, dynamics and detail, and need a partner that will “keep calm and carry on.” In other words, there’s a reason relatively weak single ended amps sound good with horn speakers, they are good partners. From my experience, the Raven is a better match for complicated speakers that need plenty of “oomph.” Though I didn’t have a pair on hand, I believe it would be a good match, in smaller rooms, for the inefficient Magnepan. Also, because the sound is rather “taught,” bass reflex designs will have less overhang. Raven also makes appropriate amps for high efficiency horns. "