Preamp suggestions, yes again

I know these types of topics come up very often but here's another.

I'm looking for a preamp for my system. I currently use an Onkyo TX-SR705 as a pre. I have Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers fed by a diy First Watt Aleph J amp. 

I'm looking at the Odysey Candela and the Van Alstine Vision SLR to start. I'd like to stay around this price point or lower.

I do not need phono but a remote is a must have. Obviously I'm open to ss or tubes. Thoughts on the two in considering? Other suggestions? 
128x128markf31
And I would also say you might also give supratek a shot. All the owners love it too. I almost bought one and still might give it a shot and compare it to my lovely DS one day.

Just look at the love in this thread: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/supratek-owners-thread
Helomech:
Can't comprehend why one would despise remotes. I find that seldom do two songs share the same ideal volume level. And if your gear has a remote function no one forces you to use it. A motorized control has no detrimental effect on sonics. Suppose some folks just prefer things the hard way.
Couldn't agree more. Remotes that come with well designed hi end gear are (or should be) a pleasure to hold and use. I wouldn't derive any pleasure from a cheap plastic, poorly designed remote which I suspect is the source of most of the hatred for remotes. The remotes for my preamp and CD player are all metal, well designed, expensive feeling, and a pleasure to hold and use.

J.Chip

I agree, I have expensive McIntosh equipment and they all come with cheap plastic remotes.  I would be more than willing to pay $300.00 for the same remote in an aluminum chassis that doesn’t show the oils from your hands and fingers. 
The best remote ever came with an old CD player. The front and back are high quality solid hardwood, laser-etched, with just a few large buttons that are easy to work even in the dark. The sides or frame is one piece cast metal, probably aluminum, although with its unique textured finish its hard to tell. The back is held with magnets, so not a screw or fastener to be seen. Perfect heft. Shaped to fit the hand. Just an absolutely beautiful remote. 

The controls match the simplicity of the Raven amp remotes. Its so nice I keep it around just on the chance of maybe one day swapping parts or something to give me a reason to use it again. 

Other than that, remotes pretty much suck. 

This remote by the way, you're talking about paying $300 just to have a good remote. The whole CD player with remote was only about $500. This was nearly 20 years ago. There's just no reason we should still be looking at crap remotes 20 years later.