Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Is everybody in agreement that changing out the screws to brass screws makes a significant difference?

@rixthetrick - You are a young guy and are working through processes of experimentation that the audiotweak (Tom) and myself have toiled through many years ago. There is no substitute for hands on experience.

Brass screws are easily sourced, readily available and affordable. Copper fasteners generally require machining costs where listeners looking for improvements would not make the financial investment without some type of product review as evidence of function.

Regards to copper use and experience:

This is our first wood shelf racking design that was introduced at last year’s Capital Audiofest and is coming online for sales shortly. https://soundstageaudio.com/

We use 110 copper for the 0.25” thick inlays to decrease the audible frequency of the 2” cherry shelf and the 2” OD support rods serve as our primary conductors for resonance flow to earth’s ground. Copper 110 is the purest form of oxygen free copper at 99.99% pure in comparison to other audio companies machining copper cones and such use Alloy 145 Tellurium Copper which is copper with a chemical hardener because machining alloy 145 is much easier than the pure and softer 110. There is a difference in hardness between the two and a highly audible difference in sonic outcomes as well. We prefer pure copper to other alloys.

Our company is contemplating the release of a 110-copper version of the Audio Points™. The copper offers up a faster attack time but alters the sustain and decay characteristics of sound in comparison to all brass versions. We integrated a few coupling discs and point combinations and found some pairings were simply outstanding in sonic measure. Material science is a never-ending learning curve when used in vibration management.

The first brass speaker basket we ever encountered was at the CES Show in 2003. The baskets were machined and used by a French speaker company that is no longer in business. The sound of their systems was extremely effortless and highly appealing to our ears.  

We are a research and development company and not a speaker manufacturer although we contract through a few loudspeaker manufacturers as sound and engineering consultants always looking to improve the level of a product’s operational efficiency. I always recommend brass or copper baskets but when it comes down to it most opt out due to the added machining expense and meeting existing budgets.

We recommend brass baffles as well. An ‘age old’ friend of mine who we share technologies and concepts with is currently manufacturing and selling such a system. The independent subwoofer system in the final stages of completion is also an industry first design and should be coming to market soon. http://highfidelitycables.com/speakers/bafflex/ 

You are correct in that brass and copper driver assemblies and chassis outperform their steel and aluminum counterparts.

Regards to copper and brass use for absorption purposes:

We use these materials and geometry to work as a conduit for resonance flow in comparison to energy absorption material. The brass we use has a specific damping factor, chemistry formula and provides us a high-rate of shear velocity. Resonance transfer (Live-Vibe Technology™) is new to the industry and is only twenty-two years old so there are a lot more discovery processes to experience and products to develop.

I look forward to hearing the Lenehan speaker systems and plan to take every opportunity to do so in the future.

Robert

Given the track record around here, attacking me as a shill for the crime of saying what I think about something bought with my own money, it will be interesting to see how they attack an actual shill who does have something to sell. Not to pick on you Robert. And not gonna hold my breath. Just taking the opportunity to point out what deranged hypocrites certain people are.

raysmtb1- Is everybody in agreement that changing out the screws to brass screws makes a significant difference?

Everybody’s never in agreement about anything. Here’s what’s going on.

Every time we play music everything starts vibrating. When I say everything I mean everything. From way outside your house, all the wire running through it all the way to the speakers, every single bit of the loudspeaker, room, house, all the way to your tympanic membrane and on into the neurons inside your head. Everything.

Every single one of these things has its own characteristic sets of resonant frequencies. With instruments that’s how we tell violin from viola from cello. Because every single tiny little bit is vibrating, and because that after all is what we call music (vibrations) then it naturally follows that a change in any one of them is bound to be heard in the music.

People can doubt this all they want. People can try and explain it, or explain it away, all they want. Its the reason cones, spikes, springs, panels, racks, and everything else works, so good luck explaining it away. The way every single one of all these tiny little things vibrates winds up exciting and influencing the vibration of every other tiny little thing, so good luck explaining it, too!

I haven’t tried copper screws. Like the man said there aren’t exactly boxes of them sitting there at Lowe’s. But I have compared mild steel, stainless steel, and brass. Went through this 20 years ago, figuring out how I wanted to build the Miller Carbon Turntable. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367

All my gear is on BDR Cones. The Cones have short little threaded studs screwed into them, and these studs connect to the gear. Roughly 1" long, encased in carbon fiber. One would think it impossible to matter what is in there. Nope. Was not huge, but was definitely able to hear a difference between all three of them.

On screws? Fastened directly to a tweeter or midrange driver? Of course it will make a difference. For better or worse? Go and listen. You will see.
OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast) copper screws + properly calibrated electronic torque wrench, otherwise it's a waste of time.
Hey Chuckie,

Timmy and I thought replacing the brass screws made a big difference.
Notable increase in transparency, more coherency and
the speakers started to disappear.
<3 

Hundreds  of screws :)