Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Given the track record around here, attacking me as a shill for the crime of saying what I think about something bought with my own money, it will be interesting to see how they attack an actual shill who does have something to sell. Not to pick on you Robert. And not gonna hold my breath. Just taking the opportunity to point out what deranged hypocrites certain people are.

raysmtb1- Is everybody in agreement that changing out the screws to brass screws makes a significant difference?

Everybody’s never in agreement about anything. Here’s what’s going on.

Every time we play music everything starts vibrating. When I say everything I mean everything. From way outside your house, all the wire running through it all the way to the speakers, every single bit of the loudspeaker, room, house, all the way to your tympanic membrane and on into the neurons inside your head. Everything.

Every single one of these things has its own characteristic sets of resonant frequencies. With instruments that’s how we tell violin from viola from cello. Because every single tiny little bit is vibrating, and because that after all is what we call music (vibrations) then it naturally follows that a change in any one of them is bound to be heard in the music.

People can doubt this all they want. People can try and explain it, or explain it away, all they want. Its the reason cones, spikes, springs, panels, racks, and everything else works, so good luck explaining it away. The way every single one of all these tiny little things vibrates winds up exciting and influencing the vibration of every other tiny little thing, so good luck explaining it, too!

I haven’t tried copper screws. Like the man said there aren’t exactly boxes of them sitting there at Lowe’s. But I have compared mild steel, stainless steel, and brass. Went through this 20 years ago, figuring out how I wanted to build the Miller Carbon Turntable. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367

All my gear is on BDR Cones. The Cones have short little threaded studs screwed into them, and these studs connect to the gear. Roughly 1" long, encased in carbon fiber. One would think it impossible to matter what is in there. Nope. Was not huge, but was definitely able to hear a difference between all three of them.

On screws? Fastened directly to a tweeter or midrange driver? Of course it will make a difference. For better or worse? Go and listen. You will see.
OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast) copper screws + properly calibrated electronic torque wrench, otherwise it's a waste of time.
Hey Chuckie,

Timmy and I thought replacing the brass screws made a big difference.
Notable increase in transparency, more coherency and
the speakers started to disappear.
<3 

Hundreds  of screws :) 
Every single one of these things has its own characteristic sets of resonant frequencies. With instruments that’s how we tell violin from viola from cello. Because every single tiny little bit is vibrating, and because that after all is what we call music (vibrations) then it naturally follows that a change in any one of them is bound to be heard in the music.

No that is the equivalent of new age, pseudo-science mumbo jumbo.It’s equivalent to the new age mushy thinking of "Hey, like everything is really just energy and vibrations, so of course I can affect you with my energy holding my hands over the cancer in your tummy!"

The fact that something may be vibrating does NOT automatically entail that you can hear it.

When you get an Ultrasound at a lab, you are being subjected to sonic vibrations at up to around 100 dB. Does that mean you can hear it?No. That’s why it’s called "ultrasound."

If I play a clock radio loud enough from 3 rooms away from you, you can likely hear it. But as I turn down the volume I’ll reach a point where it’s still playing but you can’t hear it because the volume has gone too low for you to perceive. Why? Because you are neither a dog, a bat, nor Superman. Human hearing has limits.

So the proposition that when music is playing at full volume that you can HEAR a screw vibrating, much less the difference between two screws, is just friggin’ absurd. It’s a truly extraordinary claim. And then you make up flight-of-fancy "explanations" for why it would make a difference "hey, everything is vibrating, man...."

But this is where you end up when you take your own hearing abilities as the equivolent of a super power - you get to play in the world of imagination, both in what you think you can hear and in the stories you can make up to justify it, without any test but...your hearing and imagination again.

BTW, compare the level of analysis regarding resonance when someone is doing actual engineering and appealing to science, vs the musings of people here on vibrating screws:

https://audioxpress.com/article/testing-loudspeakers-which-measurements-matter-part-1

I told Tim about swapping the steel for brass screws about 4yrs ago and he laughed that big expressive laugh and said WOW..if I had known I would have done that years ago. Cheap too.
Tom