Cartridge Opinions - Sorry

Yeah, another dumb "what's your opinion on these cartridges" thread. Back in the late 80's we had dealers where you could listen to the stuff.

So anyhow I have a Linn LP12 with Ittok arm and a 30 year old Audioquest B200L cartridge. I'm running it through the phono stage of a Jeff Rowland Coherence One into a Spectral DMA90 through a set of Kef R300's.

I prefer a little more laid back sound (err on the side of forgiving instead of fatiguing) but I like a lot of upper end detail, precise soundstaging, air, etc.

So far I'm considering an Ortofon Quintet S Black, Hana SL or a Benz wood - something at or below the $1k level.

I'd love to hear any opinions, suggestions, and experiences with those cartridges or others in the price range. I could possibly go higher if there is something out there that really shines for less than $1,500.

Thanks.

klooker
3mV is not high output even for MM

For MC a high output is something like 1.7mV (but such MC carts must be avoided). People who’re using a high output MC do not understand that high output = coil winding and higher moving mass. LOMC with 0.2 - 0.5 mV are better than HOMC with 2mV. Everyone with MC cartridge should buy a decent phono stage first. If there is a problem with gain (MC phono stage) then MM and MI cartridges are better than all those High Output MC. 
Post removed 
@rauliruegas Dear Raul, you are partially correct, I have to learn (about ANALOG) and that's why I am reading on this site the forums and if you noticed not participating or voicing my opinion at all actively on this site, at least in regards to the analog topics.

What I don't understand is why you have to "jump" and just state that I don't "understand nothing of nothing", you don't know me, we have never interacted before, you have no idea who I am or what I do or if I am proficient (or deficient) on a specific topic or knowledge.

I addressed Ralph directly because I personally know him and because I am familiar with his products and his knowledge, as a matter of fact I own his products, the same he is using at his home therefore I am curious to hear his opinion as this will allow me to understand better where he is coming from. He has solved some issues I had in the past with my system so to me and based on our discussions "he always have the right answers"

I also know 'chakster" because of direct interactions we had and value his opinion as well and his explanation makes a lot of sense.

I did not addressed you directly and I wasn't expecting that kind of an answer from you, I read your posts as you are active on this community and although I don't know you "it seemed" you have experience with the analog world so I read your posts very carefully paying attention to your comments, but this direct comment towards me just shows me you are just another pragmatic radical user of this site who just likes to blatantly show "some knowledge" and attack any opinion that doesn't matches yours or shakes your (possibly limited) vision of the world

Sad because at some point I considered you an experienced Agon user but with this bias or way to express yourself (even in the event you were right) it clouds your judgement and doesn't gives too much credit to your posts, and if these "posts" of yours have no credit then these are useless to this community.

I would appreciate, please, if I address someone like Ralph directly and you would like to provide your opinion (like chakster did) just spill it but don't attack others, I never claimed to have knowledge or be an expert here, so instead of trying to discredit me try to educate me (if you feel like it) if not just pass my post and keep any unneeded criticizing to yourself
Take care
Luis

@chakster

For MC a high output is something like 1.7mV (but such MC carts must be avoided). People who’re using a high output MC do not understand that high output = coil winding and higher moving mass. LOMC with 0.2 - 0.5 mV are better than HOMC with 2mV. Everyone with MC cartridge should buy a decent phono stage first. If there is a problem with gain (MC phono stage) then MM and MI cartridges are better than all those High Output MC.

Thanks, that makes sense and explaing the HOMC and LOMC concepts as well as the outputs on the MM carts

IIRC, your old Audioquest B200L is a low output cartridge.  If $1500 is your cap, there are a lot of good performing carts from Ortofon and Audiotechnica.  The AT-OC9/II or /III will perform nicely in your arm cart combo.  Stepping up, the AT ART9 may provide you with a very good listening experience.  The Hana SL is also a good cart, but not in the same league as the AT's.

Don't expect the Rowland phono section to be able to keep up with the modern phono stage offerings.  But it is, in itself, a little laid back.