How does adding a second subwoofer improve your systems SQ?

The title pretty much covers my question. Thanks for any insights or comments.   
markj941
@erik_squires , you already posted a link to your blog page where you wrote: " I am no longer a fan of this idea [distributed bass array/muliple subs] due to the fan boys and how cultish they have become. "

And now you post: "... I often challenge the DBA cultists..."

This is starting to look like trolling, Erik. 

Maybe you can advocate for your preferred solution without name-calling? 

Duke
" I won't be editorialized by you." 

I suppose we're both free to call it like we see it. 

Duke

So some of you may be wondering which actually makes the biggest improvement, adding bass traps or adding more subs. Since bass trap advocate Erik Squires is playing the "cultist" card to discredit multi-sub advocates, I’m gonna play one of my cards. It’s an "acoustician" card.

Matt Poes of Poes Acoustics, who doesn’t sell subs but who gets paid to install bass traps, briefly compares his experiences with bass traps vs multiple subs, as far as effectiveness below 80 Hz.

Takes thirty-two seconds to listen to. From 37:37 to 38:09. Click on the link, suffer through the inevitable ad, and it’s already cued up:

https://youtu.be/shHY7EHY4MA?t=2257

I have zero affiliation with Matt.

Duke
distributed multi-sub system manufacturer since 2006 (so take me with as many grains of salt as you need to)
Toole didn't throw up his hands in defeat to him the answer was in equalization. I also agree with his assessment that to much absorption leads to an acoustical dead room like a studio, reflections aren't all bad and the lower 300-500 hz is where most problems are unless your speakers are all over the place in the upper area. Multi sub is easier to get the bass equalized  but for a single position and enough work one can suffice.