What Do You Think . . . and How Does It Work?

While watching vids on YouTube, I came across this pipe speaker design from a Dr. Linkwitz (see below).   The sound of this speaker is said to be impressive.  I was wondering if you know about this, how it works and what you think of this speaker design.  Also, what do you think would be the best room placement for such a speaker, and would you be tempted to build them?

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/intro.htm
bob540
@mickeyb, I was going to suggest those inexpensive Crown amps — you could buy 3 of those and not have too much money in it.  The 12 amps alymere mentioned would be interesting too.  Maybe one of you guys with plenty of room and some loose change could put this together and video the result.  That would be a hoot.  Too bad Dr. Linkwitz isn’t still around to serve as technical consultant. 

@soix, too funny!  It does look like a periscope, doesn’t it?   Add a lens and play the theme song through it for “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea”.  ☺️
alymere

Thanks for the clarification.

Many of us are only familiar with using the 2 channel amplifiers that the advertising branch of high end audio (the press) prefers to talk about.

Habits and all that...

https://homemedialimited.co.uk/product/ati-at6012-12-channel-power-amplifier/
Kenjit, I’d say millercarbon is correct and the effects of pressure on the inner walls of a tube (incidentally, specifically engineered to uniformly hold pressure) is a great idea. Cabinet resonance would be low using this material and geometry, especially if you used schedule 80. Talk about inexpensive DIY!

If designing a tube shaped cabinet, it would be logical to use at least an inch or two larger radius (inner dimension of the tube) than the ports on the driver basket to allow the driver to breathe correctly, with a beveled edge on the baffle to allow unrestricted airflow from the back pressure of the driver.

The bazooka style used in car audio worked well.

Kenjit, explain to me why it wouldn’t work??
(Oh and I don’t specifically think it’s not the material so much as the geometry of a tube that makes it such a good idea).

Kenjit, explain to me why it wouldn’t work??
of course it would work. It just wouldnt be state of the art. Look at all the other high end speaker companies and the great lengths they go to with their cabinets. There are no PVC speakers out there among them. Only PVC speakers out there are the cheap ones on amazon.