What to upgrade to?

I will be retiring at the end of the year or earlier depending on the Covid virus.  Anyway I am looking for that last upgrade to my system.  I will be looking at either upgrading my analog system or loudspeaker.  I have about 10k in a complete turntable and my speakers retailed for 12k about 5 years.  Both I could live with in retirement and be quite happy. But I have $15k - $20k to spend if I want to on either upgrading my turntable or speakers.  What would you upgrade? Turntable or speakers?
bobheinatz
The two things you're concerned with, turntable and speakers, are prime candidates for tweakery. Obvious choices to start with are Synergistic Research HFT, ECT, and PHT. Everything I am about to recommend, btw, will seem like it can't possibly make that much difference. Until you try it, and even then you probably will not believe it. Synergistic is not even the best of them, but close, and we will start there because they have a 30 day guarantee. So by the time you try a few my credibility will be epic and you will have the confidence to try the other ideas. Which you should. They are fabulous and guaranteed to transform your listening experience.

HFT, ECT and PHT you can see used extensively in my system here. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 Look close you will see 3 PHT on the cart and arm, plus ECT on the arm base, and motor, and amp. Zoom in, hard to see. HFT are on the speakers and walls. These things all seem like they couldn't possibly make any difference. In fact every single one of them improves imaging, dynamics, presence, and detail to a remarkable degree. What I mean is you can hear just one, and by the time you do a set you're impressed, and by the time you do several sets you're amazed. 

I've compared, its just not possible to find a component upgrade that will deliver this kind of performance improvement. Better, yes. This good, no. Not without spending a whole lot more.

Now that you're sure I know what I'm talking about place a couple orders for fo.Q tape. It comes in thick and thin. I would get one of each. This special piezoelectric tape effectively kills vibration. First time I used just one little inch and heard improvement. One inch! Now there's a strip running the length of the tone arm tube. I like to keep mine out of sight as for me part of the pleasure is the look and feel. But there's no reason not to wrap the whole thing in this stuff. The more the better and the improvement is clearly audible.

Tone arm base, counterweight, plinth, motor, spindle, base, footers, you name it. Great stuff for retired as all this stuff is a bit time consuming which is just what you need. I'm enjoying it and not even retired yet!

Speakers, thick fo.Q tape is an awesome speaker gasket upgrade. I pulled the drivers and put it on the baskets, anywhere and everywhere you think might be good to kill vibration. Which on speakers and turntables is everywhere. 

From here we get to the big time, the creme de la creme, cutting edge nano tech electron shear wave enhancement and unfiltering. You want to know how good that works check with another retired audiophile oregonpapa who I know will confirm just how unbelievably far you can go without having to upgrade a single component.
Dear @bobheinatz  : My take is that for you can have more precise advises about it will be important that you post which are your room/system MUSIC listening main targets, the kind of MUSIC you normally listen/your preferences about, your room listening dimensions.

Can help too not what upgrade you want: TT or speakers but overall  what characteristics in your room/system quality performance do you think needs an improvement against your first hand experiences with live MUSIC events seated at near field position or against other room/systems that you think outperforms what you have.
You can make true system quality improvements with 20K if you know exactly where and how do it. You need to identify the weaks " points " in your system and its strong ones too that you don't want to beeen altered with your investment.

Anyway, only an " idea ".

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Turntable-wise, you could stay with what you have, and try an additional arm (Chris would probably be able to nicely add a new arm, or, you could change arms for one that would enable you to change cartridges by just changing head shells.)

I use a Garrard 401 that I refurbished on a plinth I made myself, with a Dynavector 501 arm. Changing cartridges is a snap. Sound quality is shockingly good, depending on the recording, of course. And, my speakers are Tannoy.

I know this is not the time to go out and audition loudspeakers, but I feel you might want to hold off on purchasing turntable/speakers until you can go hear what interests you. Or the free home trial is a good option, if not a pain in the butt. Oh, by the way, I'm in the PNW as well.

Well, best of luck to you, stay well, and good things will happen at the right time.

Regards,
Dan
Speakers: Emerald Physics makes several models of open-baffle. I LOVE my KCIIs (with WireWorld and Clarity Caps upgrades) $1999/$2999

Beyond, or in addition to, their great reviews, they are a very easy load.  Also,  great direct prices saves you money

hth
I would like to thank everyone who has participated on my thread.  There were alot of great suggestions.  I was pleasantly surprised that there were a few who has heard my speakers and know of Dale's work.  After listening last night I can reaffirm the the Intuitive Design speakers are extremely good.  
I have decided to upgrade my cartridge and see how that upgrade works before looking at anything else.  Perhaps a serious cartridge upgrade will be all that's needed.