I need advice for power cords

In my system there are 4 components that power cords are interchangeable.  They are PrimaLuna EVO 100 Tube Preamplifier, PrimaLuna EVO 100 Tube DAC, Manley Chinook phonostage and Dayton Audio sa1000 subwoofer amplifier.   Should they all be upgraded, if not all which one to change to give me the most improvements.  I can't go crazy on cost, 1k to spend.   I've followed along with many threads on this subject. Always looking to make improvements to sound quality.   Many of you have much more experience with cables than I do so what do you recommend and I can do the research.  On a side note my McIntosh MC75's are vintage so old thin manufacturer cables and probably shouldn't change them. 

Thanks 
Mike 
zardozmike
hickamore reasonably asks:
Several posts here make the fundamental claim that upgrading house wiring & outlets should be top priority, and that until this has been addressed, any comparison of audio component power cords is an idle exercise. What say the experts about this claim which, if true, would seem to moot many posts above (and those on other cable comparison threads)? 

Now with 30 years experience with both multiple different house wiring setups as well as a whole boatload of different cables and tweaks, I can say with absolute certainty one of the last things you should do is re-wire. If running wire for the first time then yes of course do it right. But even if you are capable and comfortable and willing to DIY the cost of the wire alone makes re-wiring a poor use of funds. The only time I would recommend it is if your cost is near zero because you have some way of getting the wire for free. Even then I would question your use of time. 

But Miller! What about you! You did all that stuff! https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367  Yeah which is how I learned what its worth and more to the point what its worth relative to other things you could do instead. 

A partial list of upgrades that offer a lot more sound quality improvement for your audiophile dollar:
Power cords, speaker cables, interconnects, power conditioners, cones, shelf, HFT, ECT, fuses, you get the idea, house wire is way down there near the bottom of the list.

AGAIN this is NOT talking about new construction. This only applies to ripping out what you got in order to make it better. This is NOT to say its not worth doing. It is only to answer the question of priority.  In other words, it applies to anyone who hasn't already addressed every tweak and accessory. Pretty much everything right down to a $70 sheet of FoQ tape is a better deal than re-wiring. In a word: don't.

Unless (there are always exceptions) you just really enjoy crawling around under the house pulling wire, drilling holes, pushing wire, skinned knuckles, cobwebs, ....
mc, you make the task sound so fun, I'm just about tempted, although I do need to add a few more outlets and lights to my previous basement build.  I'm glad I have a pretty good brother for guiding me on this one.  He always starts conversations with, "Glad to hear your voice, little Bro."  
And I'm quite glad to be able to answer him, when I'm attempting any electrical adds.  I don't need to add that little Bro is 6-6 and 300 lbs.--guess I already did.
The best thing you can do for your power cable performance is plug them in, they work best that way

millercarbon
3,258 posts
03-02-2020 3:16pm
hickamore reasonably asks:

But Miller! What about you! You did all that stuff! https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367  Yeah which is how I learned what its worth and more to the point what its worth relative to other things you could do instead.

I did the addition 35 years ago, with the intent of having a HT environment
The old was knob and tube the new romex. 2 15s were installed at the time. 15 years ago I added 3 20 on the outside in conduit. Took 4 hours and a bit of swearing. I grove another copper ground rod. I had about 8 hours with the all the goodies. Hubbell 20s @125. It was a real upgrade for me. Left side, right side, center for everything else. I used 3 in wall mount Trip lite 2400mg. Lights, TV and all the cable stuff on its own cleaner, crazy dirty power supply from the cable company.

I've learned A LOT in the last couple of years. Little bit at a time...
Room treatment, placement, GREAT VAC, cabling, gettin' there. yup yup

Regards
An isolation transformer like Torus or Topaz is also on my list to explore. Balanced power also. Heard a lot of good things about them. But my opinion on house wiring stands. Get the electrical foundation right and then shop for fancy power cables. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. Our hobby deserves it.