What are the current "speaker trends" in your opinions?

Be it cones, stats, horns, planers ...or whatever other technology, is there anything new/worthwhile out there?  I know that there was the AMT "air motion transformer" of the ESS days,etc.  Many technologies advance and sometimes refinements of existing technology is the mainstay.   I am not real current in my readings or notice of advertising/reviews and would appreciate anything readers can share. 

whatjd
Imo some of the best current trends are embodied in the Dutch & Dutch 8c.

They start out with excellent acoustic design and a lot of thermal and mechanical capability in a relatively compact package.

Then they use powerful DSP to shape the response and extend the low end.

One of my customers, a recording engineer, owns the very first pair that came into the US. I have respect for Dutch & Dutch but no actual association with them.

Duke
The dutch and dutch is a horrible example of a good speaker. Good sound should be affordable to everyone. The dutch and dutch fail in that respect. In terms of sound quality, theyve cheated by using a lot of dsp to overcome problems that shouldn't be there in the first place. 
Kenjit wrote: "The dutch and dutch is a horrible example of a good speaker."

Let’s see what his basis is for this claim.

"Good sound should be affordable to everyone."

The topic is trends in loudspeaker design, not trends in social justice.

"In terms of sound quality, they’ve cheated by using a lot of dsp to overcome problems that shouldn’t be there in the first place."

Let’s see you back that up, kenjit.

You have been going on about how DSP + custom tailoring to individual taste is the right way to do a loudspeaker. So, here is a speaker with DSP that can be custom tailored to individual taste, and you say "they’ve cheated"!!

So back up your claim that Dutch & Dutch "cheated" by using DSP. Tell me what problems they use "DSP to overcome that shouldn’t be there in the first place."

And I invite you to bring competent analysis to the table, rather than opinion stated as if it were fact.

Duke

@kenjit
In terms of sound quality, theyve cheated by using a lot of dsp to overcome problems that shouldn't be there in the first place.

How does that comment relate to your post below extracted from a recent thread?
"What people don't seem to understand is that if you use DSP, you could have a dozen different crossovers that you could switch between in a split second and literally be an armchair crossover designer."
Some trends-Overpricing, Chinese construction, aluminum cabs, tweeter of the month, Euro drivers in a small box. lifestyle designs morphing with audiophile products.