What are the current "speaker trends" in your opinions?

Be it cones, stats, horns, planers ...or whatever other technology, is there anything new/worthwhile out there?  I know that there was the AMT "air motion transformer" of the ESS days,etc.  Many technologies advance and sometimes refinements of existing technology is the mainstay.   I am not real current in my readings or notice of advertising/reviews and would appreciate anything readers can share. 

whatjd
Kenjit wrote: "The dutch and dutch is a horrible example of a good speaker."

Let’s see what his basis is for this claim.

"Good sound should be affordable to everyone."

The topic is trends in loudspeaker design, not trends in social justice.

"In terms of sound quality, they’ve cheated by using a lot of dsp to overcome problems that shouldn’t be there in the first place."

Let’s see you back that up, kenjit.

You have been going on about how DSP + custom tailoring to individual taste is the right way to do a loudspeaker. So, here is a speaker with DSP that can be custom tailored to individual taste, and you say "they’ve cheated"!!

So back up your claim that Dutch & Dutch "cheated" by using DSP. Tell me what problems they use "DSP to overcome that shouldn’t be there in the first place."

And I invite you to bring competent analysis to the table, rather than opinion stated as if it were fact.

Duke

@kenjit
In terms of sound quality, theyve cheated by using a lot of dsp to overcome problems that shouldn't be there in the first place.

How does that comment relate to your post below extracted from a recent thread?
"What people don't seem to understand is that if you use DSP, you could have a dozen different crossovers that you could switch between in a split second and literally be an armchair crossover designer."
Some trends-Overpricing, Chinese construction, aluminum cabs, tweeter of the month, Euro drivers in a small box. lifestyle designs morphing with audiophile products.
@kenjit
"Good sound should be affordable to everyone. The dutch and dutch fail in that respect. "
Hmm for $12,500  Dutch & Dutch 8c appears to give a buyer an all in one box solution - the drivers,  high-end DACs, amps, subwoofers and a DSP. The system also comes with room matching and streaming capabilities out-of-the-box.
Guess Golden Ears doesn't like the Dutch and Dutch because they are manufactured out of phase :)

(Or at least the ones he never heard at a show were built that way...)

And, how could Dutch and Dutch possibly compete with Sonos...

So cool what is happening with speaker/system designs. Every piece and component optimized for the one right next to it in the chain.

Going to take me a while - for both financial and sensibility reasons - before I would be ready to make the switch. I like tubes and high efficiency speakers.

The Dutch and Dutch 8c's are such a great concept. It's difficult to keep up with the innovative things that are happening in audio design period.

So I guess, in a nutshell, its change that is the new trend - development, implementation and integration of both brand new digital technologies with existing "traditions".

Cool time to be an audiophile!!!

P