Best Headphone system under $1000???

Hi all,
I've been a 2 channel audiophile for 30+ years, and I'm ready to liquidate the big system and simplify.
I'm interested in finding a really nice set of headphones and a headphone amp, to pair with my DAC and MacBook based Tidal streaming source.

Interested in staying within the $1000 range (or under) for headphones and a dedicated headphone amp/preamp.
As far as tastes go, I prefer a "musical sound" to the more hyper detailed hifi/neutral sound. I enjoy jazz, funk and R&B, classic rock, and some classical, so I'm hoping for a headphone system that is slightly warm and has good soundstaging.

For reference, my big system has Vandersteen 2CE Sig 2s, Odyssey Kismet amp, and a nice 6SN7 tube preamp from JE Labs. I like the full, colorful, dynamic sound of this rig and hope I can replicate it in a headphone set up. 

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Lincoln
lincnabby
@gosta 

For Rtings, never look at category ratings, look at each specific test. The AKG’s have much better soundstage, but they also have less bass, so their combined rating is similar.
I use phones for late night reading mostly, and after wearing out some very old Grado SR60s (I like the Grado "house sound") I replaced them with SR80s...improvement for sure...running an old iPhone that still connects with the net as a source. I recently bought a couple of Schiit Magni 3 amps (for bedroom and main system) and Grado SR325e aluminum body phones...amazing SQ that surprised me really, and they sounded great immediately with a world of difference over the el cheapo 60s and 80s. Found some "G" (large over-ear pads with hole in the middle, sold with top of Grado line phones, and 50 bucks from Grado) ear pad clones for around 12 bucks shipped from China...very comfy at least compared to stock ear pads.
Headphones are definitely a personal taste thing .   Hadn't used phones in years and stopped into Q Audio in Boston one day at lunch.  Tried on several Grado models from the 125s to the GS2000 and bought a pair of RS2e that day.  
Tried the Focal Elear and Focal Clear today in a shop and fell to sleep. Moved to the Sennheiser HD820 and woke up. Sounded like
my near-fields but a little thin and less dynamic. Very good separation though. Not too much impressed for that kind of money. They all need a special amp. The one used was the Sennheiser HDV 820. Beyer DT990 Pro seems like a good value... 
For those trying out grados for the first time the Grado PS500e is easily their best IMO. It has all the details of the others or more but softens the 2k midrange spike and has a lesser more balanced treble. Makes for a relatively warmer Grado (still bright). Sadly I had to get two pairs to get one with good driver matching. Order from some somewhere you can return them...

I have owned/used the following grados and choose the PS500e.

PS1000e (scooped out mids, they call it soundstage, I call it messed up tonal balance)

PS500e (good, light/fast sounding and punchy like good monitors, a little bright still, I love the close vocals).

GH1 (a lot like the PS500e but more colored mids, you can hear the wood in the bass for better or worse)

GS2000e (uhm no, really bad, just no, ear tweeters, funky soundstage)

RS2e (brighter and less bass than the PS500e, small spike at 2k)

RS1e (I don’t really rember these...)

RS325(pretty bright, probably the brightest Grado I owned, ok other wise)

RS225e (light on bass, more open mids from the models down, a poor mans RS1/2)

RS80e (Best buy, most of the Grado sound for under $100)

RS60e (warmer of the grados. Tuned like the PS500e but less open and detailed acrossed the whole frequency range.