Best Headphone system under $1000???

Hi all,
I've been a 2 channel audiophile for 30+ years, and I'm ready to liquidate the big system and simplify.
I'm interested in finding a really nice set of headphones and a headphone amp, to pair with my DAC and MacBook based Tidal streaming source.

Interested in staying within the $1000 range (or under) for headphones and a dedicated headphone amp/preamp.
As far as tastes go, I prefer a "musical sound" to the more hyper detailed hifi/neutral sound. I enjoy jazz, funk and R&B, classic rock, and some classical, so I'm hoping for a headphone system that is slightly warm and has good soundstaging.

For reference, my big system has Vandersteen 2CE Sig 2s, Odyssey Kismet amp, and a nice 6SN7 tube preamp from JE Labs. I like the full, colorful, dynamic sound of this rig and hope I can replicate it in a headphone set up. 

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
Lincoln
lincnabby

Showing 5 responses by mzkmxcv

JDS Labs Atom as the amp: $100 (almost as good as the THX 789).  
Topping D10 as the DAC: $90 (or Schiit Modi 3 for $100).  

Leaving $900: 
Well, at $1000 the HiFiMan Ananda are good, or if you don’t mind used, see what others are selling. The Focal Elsar are $650 and supposed to be awesome.
@lincnabby

That Massdrop tube amp is decent, but the JDS Labs Atom is better and cheaper. It may or may not be audible, but that Massdrop tube amp leaks power supply noise (multiples of 60Hz), so a power conditioner with noise filtration may be warrented, whereas the JDS Labs Atom does not have this issue.
@lincnabby

The $770 Monoprice Liquid Platinum is a hybrid amp, the $100 Monoprice Liquid Spark is solid-state.

Also, the tube really does nothing, the frequency response is flat and the output impedance is “normal”, so it will not add any warmth (bass boost due to high output impedance, and possibly an engineered treble roll-off) compared to a true tube amp.

____

As for a preamp for the Atom, the Atom already is one, it has a volume knob and can gain th incoming signal if needed (the output of your DAC shouldn’t need gaining).
@gosta

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/akg-k701-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro/326/329?usage=49...

They indeed show less outout at around 1kHz and a wider “soundstage” for the AKG. Take note that their definition of imaging and soundstage are not like the definitions for speakers, they use “imaging” in regards to reproducing what’s in the track and “soundstage” in regards to emulating listening to stereo loudspeakers in a room. They rate the AKG as more comfortable (less clamping force), but do also show the Beyerdynamic as being more breathable, which also factors into comfort. 
@gosta 

For Rtings, never look at category ratings, look at each specific test. The AKG’s have much better soundstage, but they also have less bass, so their combined rating is similar.