Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
@bigjoe

No argument about The Jimi Hendrix Experience being the Greatest Band Of All Time, but the thread is "America's Greatest". Jimi's American, Mitch is British, Noel is British, band was formed in London. I tend to describe them as "International".

@slaw---Yup, I watched the whole season of Cadillac Records, and was surprised it wasn't renewed for a second one. You can sure tell Martin Scorsese was involved, can't ya?! It really captures the New York attitude and energy, and the personality traits of people in the record and music business.

I had some issues with it in historical terms (just as I did with the TV movie Grace Of My Heart, a story about Phil Spector, Brian Wilson, and some other real life people, but done in a convoluted, mixed up way), but it was meant to be entertainment, not a documentary.

All things considered, I think CCR for several reasons, including their diverse American influences and their crossover appeal.  I'm pretty sure a lot of country and soul/R&B fans gave them "thumbs up" and some even bought their records.

If longevity is a factor, then maybe the Eagles.  
I'm hardly biased on this as I was not a fan of either band in their heyday.  Sometimes the Eagles give me the willies.

Using a previous poster's definition of "band" and "group", I'll go with the band (loosely defined) that had more hits than any other gathering of musicians-The Wrecking Crew. They made the careers of some pretty big names.