Sound bar in a box . . . can't understand dialog.

We have a large credenza in our bedroom that houses the TV, video gear and sound bar (a modest Visio) facing the bed. It's become our favorite movie theater. Think a 4'x3'x8' box with doors on front. The "booming" caused by the interior reverb of the credenza box makes any dialog unintelligible.  Tried moving it out a bit when open (a pain) as well as adjusting out lower freq.s and boosting treble. No luck.  

Any suggestions on something more creative would be much appreciated!

ALERT! Wife is an interior designer so anything that does not fit inside box is not acceptable. 
dancub
ifmywordsdidglow
Guess you’ll just have to be surprised and wrong. I know for a fact my Vizio has passive radiators. It’s a 2.0 soundbar having 2 - 2 3/4 in drivers and 2 passive radiators. I doubt the owner’s manual is wrong.

Dan
If the dialog is distant, that may be the way you have it adjusted. I also think hanging speakers on the doors is a bad idea. As I previously said, it’s best to minimize contact with the cabinet. Center speaker? Does your soundbar have a center speaker? Can you provide a model number of your soundbar or what is it's width? If 28-32 inches, no center speaker.
tls49
Thanks. I’ll ck the model number in the morning. I suspect there’s no center speaker since it was sort of bottom of the line. The free standing approach I tried worked somewhat but would be a pain to set up each use. The next rainy day I’m going to try hanging the extra speakers for the heck of it. My reasoning is that this “box” is extremely heavy, ancient hardwood and not very resonate itself. I think the issue may be reflections inside. 

Everybody
All the suggestions got my brain going, thanks! Time to experiment...which is half the fun😊
Cabinets and wives are the bane of audio and home theater.  Not sure which I hate more, but at least cabinets don't talk. 

"ALERT! Wife is an interior designer so anything that does not fit inside box is not acceptable."

Does your wife fit inside the box?  The box is probably fine, it's your wife that's unacceptable. 

Or get wireless headphones.  They'll sound better and you won't have to hear your wife complain. 

Spend a crapload on a better soundbar and switch it when she's not around.  She'll never notice. 

+1 Erik.  I'd think pillows would be the easiest and most effective solution.  Just make sure they fill your wife's mouth completely. 

Best of luck. 

Try a better sound bar.  You can always return it.  Buy direct from visio.  I love my zvox but it has huge rear ports and a sub that would just rumble in a cabinet.