Cartridges: Complete Scam?

I’m very new to analog, and researching my options on forums I keep coming across the same sentiment: that past the ultra low-end cartridges, there is very little gains in actual sound quality and that all you’re getting are different styles and colorations to the sound.

So, for example, if I swapped out my $200 cartridge that came with my table for a Soundsmith, Dynavector, Oracle, etc, I may notice a small improvement in detail and dynamics, but I’m mostly just going to get a different flavor. Multiple people told me they perffered thier old vintage cartridges over modern laser-cut boron-necked diamonds.

It’s possible that these people are just desperately defending thier old junk and/or have never heard high end audio. But if what they’re saying is true, than the cartridge industry is a giant SCAM. If I blow 2.5k minimum on an Air Tight I better get a significant improvement over a $200 bundler — and if just all amounts to a different coloration, than that is a straight-up scam ripoff.

So guys — are these forums just BS-ing me here? Is it really a giant scam?
madavid0
As prices go up, it is almost always diminishing returns at best. You tend to get more bling factor and maybe more muscle in some cases for more $$$s but the bling factor of a phono cartridge is, well, pretty low.

The dl103R I use in my Linn table is about as far as I would likely go. I mostly play records once these days to transfer to music server and that is it. CDs get ripped right up front and never get played anymore.

Those with pricier, good quality tables who still strongly embrace vinyl still are likely to look around at the more expensive parts to go with it. Some might even drop $150 on a fuse whose only sales pitch is that it just sounds better for reasons unknown. It all depends on budget and how extreme one is with these things.

Like most things, those who actually know what they are doing are most likely to get the better results in the end regardless of cost and optimizing playback of vinyl is about as tricky a game as there is. Its still a science first and an art second though.
When one first picks up an acoustic guitar, they would probably be hard pressed to identify much of a difference between a vintage Martin and a piece-of-garbage Esteban. (remember him?)  But with time and development, one may become aware of the differences between instruments.  Such is the case with audio.  Then again, you may never hear a difference, in which case buying an expensive cartridge is silly.  That's why they make cheap guitars, cheap pianos and cheap cartridges.  Yes - more expensive does not always mean better.   But unfortunately, in my experience, it often does.  
Dear @madavidO: """ I’m very new to analog """, no doubt about even if you did not posted about. Nothing wrong with be an analog roockie.

An analog roockie usually makes the wrong questions ( some one could say: stupid ones but in reality there are not stupid questions coming from a roockie. What it is is a very high ignorance level. It can’t in other way and I think you understand it. ) like you here.

In audio the word scam means different things for different audiophiles. What for me could be a scam for other gentleman can be a bargain or can be justified for what ever reason.

You made the very typical roockie mistake: bougth audio items like your MoFi rig at an audio show/fest.

""" the MoFi room was also running TAD Evolution Ones and high end electronics, so OF COURSE it was going to sound good...I was impressed with such a “modest” front end was up to it though. """

and because of what you listened you bougth what you have. You followed that post:

" The question is: ........ ", I think that before you ask what you posted there you have to ask your self: how good is the quality sound you are listening at your analog home system. Are you impressed?

Btw, MoFi does not manufacture cartridges and I think that MoFi buys from At and that your 200.00 bundler in reality is a 70.00 AT 90. Well, you are an analog rookie and you are starting in the analog learning curve, a very long long curve.

""" If I blow 2.5k minimum on an Air Tight ..... """

again wrong question/way of thinking. Two simple questions before that: have you the kind of money to buy that Air Tigth cartridge and what it needs? have you the rigth tonearm and phono stage to honor the Air Tigth cartridge?

Did you know that Air Tigth is not the manufacturer of the cartridges they has for sale?

As you for every one of us each single day in audio is a learning one.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Oh, yes the Air Tigth overblow your blunder by a very wide margin, not only diferent colorations as you say.

jperry nailed it.  The OP clearly gets more enjoyment from trying to prove that audiophiles are relentlessly scammed as they shell out big bucks for questionable returns in sonic improvement than he derives from listening and enjoying music himself.  He obviously believes that most here are victims of the industry, getting fleeced on a regular basis.  Herein lies his true hobby and source of pleasure....all thinly veiled as a question from a fellow lover of music, faithfully reproduced ;-)  
Wow guys...wow. Allow me to sum up your replies:

randy-11: "It’s a scam"
stevecham: "It’s a scam"
knownothing: "Not a scam"
Inna: "It’s a scam"
nandric: "It’s a scam"
jmcgrogan2: "It’s a scam"
jperry: "It’s a scam"
geoffkait: "It’s a scam"

Scam is just a label, but in reality it's clearly YOUR choice to buy cartridge for $10k or for $250 and there are tons of sleepers in that range that will make you think HARD before going any further to upgrade.
That is to say that my AudioTechnica AT140 is one of them along with ADC type III obviously if you have original stylus on them. Many people know only expensive ones therefore going for them, but why should I care when I can have more cheaper 'supply' and let everyone else buy higher priced one? Ignorance sometimes pretty healthy and beneficial ain't that?