Adcom?

Does ADCOM still make products and most importantly sell products?

I bought a amp/pre-amp combination (710 for the preamp and maybe 5300 for the stereo amp), and it was the worst electronics I have had in my house in 40 years, that is, beside NAD.
Both components started to malfunction majorly just after a few months (pre-amp volume control having a mind on its own, amplifier was discharging loud every couple minutes).
They both times promised me that they would exchange mine for new, so after agreement, I sent my gear back to them, and they sent it back to me with the same problems... we did that a couple times.... I think the tech guys were billing the department for new units, kept them for themselves, and sent me back the same crap untouched.
I could tell both times that the gear was untouched by adcom as I had marked the units on frames.

I feel like this kind of fraud is happening a lot, especially this time of the year when audio gear dealers offer "black friday deals", but in fact, they sell refurbished units thinking you won’t see anything.

Adcom, dealers selling refurbished as fresh from factory, thoughts?
128x128chrisr
I stand corrected. Should have checked before claiming they were no longer in business. Their "new" products do look interesting. Curious to hear how they sound.
owned Adcom 565 and 5500 Pre Amp/Amp combo for since 90 or 91 with no issues driving B&W Matrix and early Energy monitors.  Both were built in NJ and recently sold in great working condition with only one service issue on the pre amp.
Like a lot of audio companys some products they put out are un inspiring at best. But ADCOM made the GFA 555 and it is one of the best "bang for the buck" 2 channel amps out there, even today used! ADCOM's GFP 565 pre amp is another great sounding product they made.
I've owned Adcom stuff in the past (still have a "5300" amp used for outdoor speakers) and it was always reliable…a couple of tuner/preamps, at least 3 535s (original and later models), and another preamp with balanced outs. Great sounding, well designed stuff.
I've always had a big adcom amp lying around for spare bedroom use or something. They were my first intro in to good sound...a good starting point for people who love to listen to music. The early stuff like gfa 555 and gtp preamps are bulletproof, the later stuff is not built as well but sounds decent...not really true "audiophile" but good sounding and powerful, reliable.