Your Nominations: Top Phono Stages under $1,000

Replacing a Pro-Ject Tube Box ll...New table and cart: VPI Scout 1.1 with Ortofon 2M Black. Can I make a significant improvement and spend less then $1K?
larseand
@yogiboy Yep, I second that recommendation!  The Croft is excellent.  

The iPhono2 is also a fantastic phono amp, but it really needs a linear power supply, which adds to the cost (but still keeps it under 1K).
+1 for the Lounge Audio phono stage w/matching Copla step up amp or a previously enjoyed LFD LE phono stage.

AudioResearch PH3 is still a champion under 1k.

Not too user friendly, but adjustable by re-soldering resistors and same with capacitors. This tube/hybrid can kill big giants and sounds far better than all tube.

I replaced the Tube Box II, which I liked, with a used Linn Linto. Far better, IMO. Absolutely not solid-state harsh, but more overall realism. And, no adjustments to screw around with. I have had the Linn for several years and have no desire to upgrade.  There is one up for sale on Ebay now, with a bid of $295 as of now.  I bet you could snag it for $600 or so.  
I have tried the Musical Sourroundings Phonomena Nova, Jasmine/Mockingbird LP2.5DU, Lehmann Black Cube, Dynavector P75 and Rega Aria.  I am most impressed with the Dynavector and the Rega in their respective price ranges.