Components I would have died for when I was a wee pup

Turn back the dial to 1976-1977 (I was 16-17). What did I really want? 

Thorens turntable or a Philips GA212 with a Shure V15,Type 3 cartridge
Tandberg receiver
JBL L100 Century

what did you have in your cross hairs when you started out? 
128x128zavato
Tech Hi-Fi used to put out a sales book of complete systems at ever increasing price levels. I used to look at that more that Playboy. I was always thinking I could spend a little bit more. Kind of like buying a boat. It always gets bigger even before you buy one.
As a early teen i was mesmerized by my buddies older brothers pioneer quadraphonic receiver with the spkr box that blinked to the music lol .. i thru the yrs aquired a few tandbergs including reel to reel and a nak dragon tape deck , i dreamed of the big class A mark levensons and the tympanis ( later owned alnost all but , at one time or another ) cj stuff was the holy grail for me at 18 when i began to sell gear at a brick and motar . ( racking in almost 200.00 a week part time sometimes lol
In approximately 1985 I was totally obsessed with Carvers Amazing Platinum Loudspeakers. A shop in Emporia Kansas had a pair with Carver mono-blocks that I thought were the most "amazing" thing I had ever heard or saw. I was, at the time,  $7 per hr oilfield trash. Not a chance in hell. Oh well.
An all Revox or Tandberg set up with Snell A/IIIs and the room to put them in. :)