Question for sub woofer users

I'm kicking around getting a sub for my Quad 2805 speakers.  Here's the question;

Are subs "set and forget," or do you have to constantly fiddle with output volume and crossover point with different recordings?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
jzzmusician
The main problem people have with subs is they turn them up to loud. You should just be able to tell that a sub is in the system. I have set up subs for many friends with all kinds of speakers and have always achieved excellent results. No problems with planars. I do everything by ear.
Alan
Volume too high and placement in corners or close to a wall . Then it will stand out like a sore thumb .

With my Quad 2905's I use two Rel B2 subs, started with one in the suggested corner position but realised eventually that two subs is the way to go.

The quads were positioned according the Nordost one thirds recommendation and subs using Cardas set up for full range dynamic speakers, this placed the subs slightly back and inside between the Quads.

Tonality and isolation was achieved with the Rels  raised and isolated on cast concrete boots, once dialed in the results are satisfying resolving and virtually indistinguishable although my tastes lean towards the cool side.

Phase coherence is only achieved with two subs , Jim Smith's book { Get Better Sound } and subwoofer setup at the Martin Logan website have usefull info on subwoofery.

Quads excel  in micro-dynamics and good subs improve the macro-dynamic aspect of these speakers. Once you hear your Quads with well integrated  subs then turn them off in the middle of track you'll think someone turned out the lights.

Erik's advise is very good, and Adhendler's  but I also found two subs easier to integrate and talk about the room, the best Bass in my room is with my back  hard up to the back wall only due to the longer wavelengths perceivable there so you see , subs can be a tin of worms but well worth  the effort in my opinion, and obviously there is a smorgasbord of subs out there.

I concur with the above. After a set up period, you should have things dialed in. As far as a sub for the quads, I would recommend a Vandersteen sub.
I have resisted having a sub until last year.  Consequently, i was never happy with bookshelves (limited bass output), and i have tried several floorstanders that were never perfect. So i decided to give a shot with the svs sb1000, and setup was easy.
  It is connected to the preamp output of my integrated,  with the filter on the sub set to 50hz, frequency at which my speakers start to cut off.  The output level on the sub was set using my ears and white noises at various frequencies to achieve even coverage down to 30 hz, maybe a little below. 
I am quite happy with the result, movies are more lifelike, and i now have been back to bookshelves as the bass output is almost what the vandy 2ce were putting out. Swapping bookshelves is much easier than floorstanders.
I would need a second sub for my setup to be perfect, for me at least.  But i think my wife would punish me.
I have no other experience with subs, but it made sense to me that a sealed sub would be much easier to setup.  That is one reason why I picked the svs.