Rega RP8 and alternatives in $3000-4000 range

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my RP3 with an RP8. Are there any obvious alternatives in the $3000-4000 price range? I've been looking at a VPI Classic 1 (but it's not available in stores in my city so I can't try it).

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from people who have long-time experience with the RP8. Is it a keeper or have you decided to upgrade to an RP10 or something else?
fabsound
Thanks, the Well Tempered GTA looks amazing. There are just a few issues for me so I understand what people mean when they say it’s not a turntable for everyone. The vpi signature looks like the perfect turntable but it’s beyond my budget at the moment
The VPI Prime is right in your budget.  I have not compared it to the Classig Sig, but a lot of people really like it.
Don't pay the extra $$$ for a Well Tempered just buy an Opera(Consonance) deck since Opera manufactures the Amadeus.
the vpi's are great with moving iron and moving magnet carts, no so great with moving coil unless you have 12 inch arm.  reason: no antiskate
fabsound- this is as good as it gets for the price. With the money saved,its worth investing in a $1K+LOMC to go along with it.
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649383010-new-in-box-vpi-classic-1-turntable-with-jmwclassic-1-to...

There is a Prime or 2 listed also, which is a step up.

I would offer $2k, or meet in the middle including shipping.

Consider an upper level phonostage if you haven’t already, to go with a higher performance table.