Rega RP8 and alternatives in $3000-4000 range

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my RP3 with an RP8. Are there any obvious alternatives in the $3000-4000 price range? I've been looking at a VPI Classic 1 (but it's not available in stores in my city so I can't try it).

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from people who have long-time experience with the RP8. Is it a keeper or have you decided to upgrade to an RP10 or something else?
fabsound
VPI Prime. Buy it and don't look back. Second choice is a VPI Classic.

IMO, I haven't heard any serious tables in the same price ranges as the various Rega tables that doesn't better the Regas. Just my opinion. YMMV.
I compared my old Rega P3 to the Amadeus MKII at my dealer's and I thought the Amadeus sounded much better (it should considering prices). Same cart, system, etc.
But there was also a Rega RP10 and I listened to that in the same system. Different cart on the RP10 but much more expensive than my cart, and I still thought the Amadeus sounded better.

I'd look at Amadeus and VPI Prime in that price range for sure. The Prime looks like a very nice table, and it's more user friendly than the Amadeus. Costs a little more, though.
Thanks, the Well Tempered GTA looks amazing. There are just a few issues for me so I understand what people mean when they say it’s not a turntable for everyone. The vpi signature looks like the perfect turntable but it’s beyond my budget at the moment
The VPI Prime is right in your budget.  I have not compared it to the Classig Sig, but a lot of people really like it.
Don't pay the extra $$$ for a Well Tempered just buy an Opera(Consonance) deck since Opera manufactures the Amadeus.