Tubes from Russia block

What is your experience of using all those NOS tubes from the Russian block, especially those which are supposed to be military grade ones?

I always test the tubes I received using my calibrated tube tester. I am finding out many unpleasant surprises.

I got them from eBay and even U.S. internet stores (some are supposed to be reputable). They are hit or miss. More than 1/2 of them have short, DOA, completely different looking labels, poor matching, or just too noisy to be of any practical value. I am not sure if it's just my luck (or lack of).

If you happen to use those tubes, would you please share where you buy them from?
bsimpson
Come on, people, this is not a political forum. We don't care about countries and wars here. Just give us good NOS tubes, wherever they were made ! England, Russia, US, Germany or Japan. No difference.
I doubt if the guys at the Svetlana plant, that was in St Petersburg, ever started any wars. I sure did like their SED "WINGED C" 6550C's. Well, before I got my NOS, 1970's GE 6550A octet anyway(might been the last time though).
I have used 1578, 6n1P, 6N8S and 6n23p. They are not always closely matched but I have never had one DOA.
I second the nod to Brent Jessee. If you care to, take a gander at his site and read up on the tubes you're interested in as he compiles a short and concise history of the one you want. Once you've narrowed it down, give him a call, let him know your budget and he'll give you some sound advice and recommendations.

All the best,
Nonoise